World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]

Go down 
+3
Nour Force
Unknown
Vanathor
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Vanathor
WDA Member
WDA Member

Achievement Points : 0

The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] Empty
PostSubject: The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]   The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 6:18 am

The world is in chaos. Today is the day that Maximillion Pegasus died of a mysterious wasting disease that claimed his life in less then twenty-four hours of showing symptoms. With his death, the fate of Industrial Illusions the company founded and solely owned by him that publishes the Duel Monster trading card game is unknown. Since the games creation several decades ago it has taken the world by storm, affecting global culture, business, and politics greater than any single invention since the creation of the written word.

He who takes control of Pegasus's legacy will become one of the most powerful men in the world. Such a prize draws the attentions of many people whose intentions may be not pure. The good news is that the Duel Monster Magnate had more foresight then most and in his last will and testament he put in place safeguards to keep the unworthy from claiming the ultimate prize. The bad news is that Pegasus was more then a bit eccentric and his method for doing so fitted his dramatic persona to a tee.

To put it quite simply Pegasus's solution to finding a proper heir from beyond the grave was to host a tournament. A battle royal where the last man or woman standing will become the new Chairman, CEO, and owner of Industrial Illusions. In preparation for this event Domino City has been bought out via funds set aside for this purpose before his death for this purpose. Anyone with 40 cards and a dream may enter the tournament, and hundreds have. The stage is set, and the tournament's opening date is coming up and so the eyes of the world turn to Domino City to watch as the world changes to a different era and a new King of Games is crowned.

But more lays beneath the surface then just a seemingly straight-forward tournament. Rumors exist of arcane magic, magic supposedly lost with the return of the Millennium Items to their crypt in Egypt being seen once are being whispered among the underground. With Pegasus's death and his almost presentient preparation for it along with these whispers have to be more then mere coincidence...right? Will you take the chance to join the game for your chance at collecting the ultimate prize and all the power, fame, and wealth such entails? The better question is how could you not.

---------------------------------------------

And thus is the opening hook of an RP I am willing to run if there is any interest among the current player base. Any takers? I will post more information if I see any responses here. And if this is the wrong place for such let me know please so I can delete and move the thread.
Back to top Go down
Unknown
WDA Member
WDA Member
Unknown

Achievement Points : 25
Waifu : therealUnknown

PostSubject: Re: The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]   The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 7:12 am

I like the idea, but of course this will need to pass by the staff first. One question though: How are the Millennium Items fitting into this? What are they going to do?
Back to top Go down
Nour Force
Magical Girl
Magical Girl
Nour Force

Achievement Points : 114
Waifu : 02

PostSubject: Re: The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]   The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 7:18 am

Vanathor wrote:
magic supposedly lost with the return of the Millennium Items to their crypt in Egypt being seen once are being whispered among the underground.
This is the second time someone on WDA say's my country name. How odd.

I didn't read all you wrote but.. I have a question. Is this Roleplay or FanFic or Shadow Tournament suggestion for WDA or what exactly are you saying?
Back to top Go down
https://worldduelingacademy.forumotion.com/
Vanathor
WDA Member
WDA Member

PostSubject: Re: The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]   The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 7:23 am

I don't want to spoil the plot, but the Millennium Items themselves will not feature in this RP at all, unless players decide to go that route in game with a journey to ancient egypt and perform an excavation. All I meant by that line is to indicate something spooky is afoot along the lines of shadow magic and shadow games and no one knows quite why. As for passing this by the staff I can do that though I do not see the point. This thing would use two threads only, an OOC and an IC not a sub-board or anything so it should not shake the boat too much. Well unless this thing gets staff support. At which case I can expand the RP's size which is possible.

@99nour - it's a roleplay I am willing to run myself as GM. Something with a bit more plot then the current big game run by the staff that might hopefully move at a faster pace.
Back to top Go down
Fish
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Fish

Waifu : Meheheh

PostSubject: Re: The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]   The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 8:07 am

I'll bring this up in the RP Staff section, but we've had a suggestion for a second RP before and it was discarded. We'll get back to you, and you probably need to create a full set of rules and objectives concerning any main characters etc.
Back to top Go down
Vanathor
WDA Member
WDA Member

PostSubject: Re: The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]   The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 9:19 am

Here is my rules-list for the RP itself and how I would like it to function. In-depth details for the yugioh specific genre will be created once people understand the full-base line of what I want out of this game.

For the lazy, or those with short attention spans:

What my RP is:
~~ A chance for good writers to enjoy themselves and maybe show off a little.

~~ A chance for poor writers to improve the quality and quantity of their writing via practice.

~~ Something fun to pass the time, if this hobby is your kind of thing.

~~ An RP for those with discriminating taste, and maturity.

What my RP is NOT:
~~ A place for purposeful trolling, illogical actions, immaturity, and e-peen wankery.

~~ Three sentence posts, leet speak, magical teleporting characters, Gary Stus characters.

An Elaboration on the Above: Okay so here is the deal, I want to run an RP here for those interested in the yugioh genre, with the above plot. However I have spoken with Al-Bhed on DN, read the current thread for the RP underway now, read the player archive thread for the second one that never quite got underway and I have come to a conclusion.

The reason all three versions of the past games died is a problem in two parts. The first is quite simply there hasn’t been any direction keeping the plot chugging along smoothly. The second is that poor writers who didn’t know what they were doing caused problems which side-tracked everything all to hell. I want to avoid that with my game, as I want it to be enjoyable but above all else quality. So there will be standards I will hold to anyone who wants to play, and if they do not wish to follow them they will not play.

Period.

However because I am not unrealistic and I am not expecting to make you into the next great author overnight they will not be too high just yet. If I were to use a metaphor I am setting the jump-bar near the middle instead of the top. But with what I have seen…well that might still prove a challenge for some of you. But that is good. Challenge means you can get yourself to grow and become better at whatever is you are currently doing (which in this case means writing/RPing) Now I will explain what my standards are. If you feel they are unfair please tell me, but be prepared to back it up with a convincing argument. I do not bend easily.

Standards/Rules/Misc:
~~ All posts made in my RP will have to have a minimum of three whole paragraphs, each 4+ sentences long. No exceptions.

~~ Your characters are not mind-readers, teleporters, or supernaturally gifted in anyway, unless it develops as a plot-point in game and It is GM (read: me) approved. Thus no jumping buildings in a single bound, no teleporting from one location to another, no making illogical counters to your opponents moves (in a duel) that you could not possibly have expected. Keep your reactions realistic in other words. Not saying you cannot have cool scenes, but perfect characters that have no flaws are boring point blank.

~~ Your characters will be vetted by me when you post them, and I expect them to have established histories, personalities, and appearances. I will post guidelines for character creation when it becomes necessary. If you need help generating ideas for a character ask yourselves these questions. Where did they grow up? What was there socio-economic background? Who were there friends? How did they get into duel monsters? Why are they interested in this tournament, beyond the obvious? What do they look like in depth? What area are they from? Do they have an accent? If so, how heavily does it impact there speech? What character traits do they possess, are they clever, brave, self-serving, fair, what? You get the picture.

~~ This RP is a meritocracy. Those who are the best writers, most active, and most original will inevitably drive the plot, and perhaps claim the title of protagonist. If you do well you will be rewarded for doing such. Do poorly and do not change after being warned (and I will warn you well in advance), and after I offer my help for you to improve, your role will be marginalized. Simple, yes?

If you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to ask please. I want this to succeed and I am willing to help you do so.
Back to top Go down
AsianShadow
WDA Member
WDA Member
AsianShadow

Achievement Points : 13
Waifu : ProdigyShadow

PostSubject: Re: The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]   The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 9:31 am

^ We have a new Al-Bhed,this was a compliment please do not take it wrong.
And yes what you said is true Vanathor and I really like the RP smile
Back to top Go down
Vanathor
WDA Member
WDA Member

PostSubject: Re: The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]   The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 10:28 am

Thanks for the compliment, and I am glad you approve of my rules.

Are they too hard-assed or are they firm enough but just right?
Back to top Go down
AsianShadow
WDA Member
WDA Member
AsianShadow

Achievement Points : 13
Waifu : ProdigyShadow

PostSubject: Re: The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]   The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 10:39 am

Well,I think people who read it fully understood it due to the use of examples and exlination,overall the rules you posted were well-said.
Back to top Go down
Fish
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Fish

Waifu : Meheheh

PostSubject: Re: The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]   The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 10:49 am

Well here are some points I'd like to show.

1.)
Quote :
The reason all three versions of the past games died

You obviously didn't look very well at the section. There have only been 2 RPs. 1 died, the old one, because the person running the RP made a bad call. The second is still running.

2.)
Quote :
The second is that poor writers who didn’t know what they were doing caused problems which side-tracked everything all to hell. I want to avoid that with my game, as I want it to be enjoyable but above all else quality.

You'll have an RP of 2 people. The general RP community of WDA are all using the RP that I'm running at the moment, and generally the 'poor writers' are all having fun and are active within the RP, so I don't really personally care about the quality. You may, but as I say, if you do, you'll have a very small RP.

3.)
Quote :
~~ All posts made in my RP will have to have a minimum of three whole paragraphs, each 4+ sentences long. No exceptions.

In my opinion, too long. Very little to talk about, very little to describe, with quite a lot of words needed.

4.)
Quote :
~~ This RP is a meritocracy. Those who are the best writers, most active, and most original will inevitably drive the plot, and perhaps claim the title of protagonist.
This will inevitably lessen the activity of your RP even more, with pointless characters who are trying to become better writers being pretty much ignored or pushed to the back of scenes with a protagonist and a wall of text that nobody can be bothered to read taking the spotlight.

Now some more points concerning the entire WDA that Al has brought up.
1.) We don't have enough activity in the first RP to split it up. All it would do is take one medium-strength RP and create two small very weak RPs which would probably die off quite quickly or just leave one inactive as everybody flocked to one.

2.) If we allow you to make your own RP, suddenly everybody will want an RP. And we'll suddenly have a whole load of new RPs springing up and a whole new of RPs to argue against or help with.

Which is pretty much what I think, too.

Additionally, my opinions:

To allow you to moderate the RP, we'd have to make you a moderator. Which would let you see the staff section. Which is a big "no"
The only other way to moderate the RP would be to make other people moderate it. Which would increase the staff workload massively, and would, again, drop activity in the other RP.
Oh, and if we hired new RP mods, well, same problem.

So generally, my opinion on the matter is a "No thanks".
Back to top Go down
Vanathor
WDA Member
WDA Member

PostSubject: Re: The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]   The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 11:02 am

Not asking for a sub-board or an RP mod position. I just need two threads, one will serve for In Character, the other will be Out of Character for lengthier communications, and general RP chatter that needs to happen when in brackets parenthesis. This thread would be locked/deleted when I got the aforementioned threads set up.

You guys are confusing a moderator with a GM, a Game Master. Game Masters run games, mods...moderate. One does not need the power to ban, sticky, or lock threads to run a game. blink

I am not forcing anyone to join my RP, anyone who does so would be volunteering for the task. 'Sides my character vetting progress would weed out anyone that would not do well in my game. And I am happy with two active players, plus myself. Its easier to direct a plot with fewer people then more.

Four paragraphs are not /that/ much writing. Four paragraphs is about a single page in one of those eight dollar paperbacks. The vast majority of people can do that with little effort. I mean look at this single reply...this would meet the length for one of my RP Posts if I spent a couple more minutes on it right now.
Back to top Go down
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Re: The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]   The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 12:18 pm

Vanathor wrote:
I mean look at this single reply...this would meet the length for one of my RP Posts if I spent a couple more minutes on it right now.
And yet, your first post that was lengthier than 1 paragraph got you the regular "OMFG WALL O TEXT CANT COMPREHEND" reaction which you will be finding often (being compared to Al does in fact equate to the above quote). I have said 90% enough times and once again I will bring up said random statistics to tell you that 90% of the times your post exceeds 4 lines, not 2 paragraphs, not even 1 paragraph, a mere 4 lines, will earn you the wall'o'text reaction unless they are too nervous to get involved in said topic because they somehow comprehend it is a serious discussion. I should note at this point, the regular system we use in RP in regards to yugioh games is to have a game on DN and transfer the log, not RP the duel, which does make lengthy posts in fact unreasonable on a consistent basis.

The above is the general behaviour that is encountered and I do not mean anything too bad by that (I am however often annoyed of course). They have their way of expressing themselves and their definition of having fun. To many, lengthy, or even accurate writing is a chore, and that applies to the vast majority of the members of this community, not pointing of course towards illiteracy or anything like that but just the fact they'd rather express themselves in either shorter, chat-like, posts, or would just not like to put enough thought in their lengthy post resulting in something either meanningless or vague, which is what is usually presented in lengthy posts and would of course not be acceptable for a proper RP forum. Which of course is alright because we are not an RP forum, we have our little mini-RP corner for the kind of RP fun people around here are looking for, and frankly they themselves have shaped, and that's that.

To take specific people, who you would find to participate in said RP consistently is, J.J. Knight if he does manage to get through his issues and stick around, and maybe rarikou, and pretty much that because for the rest, those who are willing and able to participate in such an RP are either too busy or not active enough to be part of it.

And the above 2-3 points, along with your intention to have an RP of you plus 2 other people, does bring us to something. Place. Your kind of RP clearly does not overlap with either our community in general or our forum orientation, so why would it have to be done in WDA? Surely, if it is just with you and 2 other people it can be done in an RP forum for example, you can talk to those people and start your RP in a relevant place or with a newly made free forum. That would definitelly take less effort than establishing it in this forum, especially if you just need 2 more people.

Now in the case you do need more than 2 people participating, we come back to our original point of conflicting activity issues, and primary activity issues ("primary" meaning the basic of finding enough people among the population of WDA).

And still, me and fish simply responding to this has little point. We may be simply speaking for our own perspective of things, many here may want to show their inner writer and have confidence in it as well. To begin with the reason I wanted you to elaborate is to get the response from the members, from those that are willing to be active in the RP, whether they could participate and be active in an RP of a mandatory 3+ accurate paragraph posts, oriented for good writing, strict otherwise with quality control and such guidelines on character bios, for a bigger explanation refer to the rules post.

At the same time that I ask of our members to give their opinions I'll ask you Vanathor as well for examples, which bios in the character bios thread we already have are acceptable or can be easily made acceptable, and can you show us some posts from the current RP that again are acceptable for the RP you are talking of? I understand that of course we had been doing a very light version of RP'ing, but there should be people who did that properly. Oh, and try not to use main staff as an example, here is a list of the current staff http://www.worldduelingacademy.com/t2663-staff
Some examples of bad posting would help as well, staff can be used there of course.
Back to top Go down
Vanathor
WDA Member
WDA Member

PostSubject: Re: The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]   The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 11:02 am

I will try to respond to each of the points you make in a semi-organized fashion, but given I tend to run off on tangents I make no promises.

1.) Using a log for actual duels in game, is a system I was actually planning on co-opting the copy/paste chat log system, because it actually works well for a yugioh RP. From there it would be simple enough to expand on each move with a sentence or two each with description and calling it good as the log gives you the meat of a post the dialogue already. For a decent sized match (say 6+ turns) that can easily work out to be 4 paragraphs easily enough. So this really is a non-issue in that regard.

2.) I said that a smaller RP is easier to deal with, and that two other players can work for this. I never said that it was limited to that amount. Typically I can GM that size a group up to around 4-5 people. I am convinced that provided I can get people to give it a chance, I can round up a fair size group for my purpose and see that they stick to it.

Now while you may disagree with my assessment that is still no reason to veto my RP outright, as anyone who wants to join will be doing so of there own free will. If this RP does not pick up enough members to start then it is simple enough to bow my head and admit you were right and lock/delete the thread. You ask "Why", my response "Why not?"

3.) My response to this point is two-fold. You argue that WDA is not a good fit for this community because of the nature of the group, and that if I only have/can find two people to join it I would be better off making a new site to host it. I think my RP is a better fit then you believe. I went through the list of character applications in the OFE character thread, and I found something that surprised me.

Nine people with either quality characters that would fit in my game, or near quality that would take some minor edits to meet my standards (no major overhauls). I will post said list in the next point as you asked me to name names, and it will be clunky to include it this area. I think this community definitely has what it takes for this sort of thing, and honestly perhaps I miss-judged them to a degree. And that is not counting J.J Knight who I think would be interested in this kind of thing.

4.) You asked for a list. Here is your list of fair or good fits for my RP Anyone on this list could either meet my standards with no editions to their characters (as examples of quality, they may need to be changed for plot reasons). So now I ask, is anyone here might be interested in a bit of an RP like this?

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Black Knight King
WDA Member
WDA Member
Black Knight King

Waifu : Black_Knight_King

PostSubject: Re: The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]   The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 11:12 am

It's not that bad i don't think. he's trying to get more RP participation around here if i'm reading this the right way

Last edited by King of The Dark World on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : puncuation)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]   The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check] Empty

Back to top Go down

The Shadow Tournament [Interest Check]
Page 1 of 1