World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The New Pool System

Go down 
+8
cheymcfly
Dark Magician Soul
Dr. Chuckles
Nour Force
Bakura Normal
Al-Bhed
danna45
Alibaba
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Alibaba
Red-Eyed Warrior
Red-Eyed Warrior
Alibaba

Achievement Points : 47
Waifu : kys

The New Pool System Empty
PostSubject: The New Pool System   The New Pool System EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 5:33 pm

so some of you might have went on dn and noticed, or just heard from other people about it, dn is now using a new system for rated where you will enter a pool of players and be blindly selected with someone with similar W/L/EXP/RAT
it has caused quite a few riots, and some find it grat while others find it horrible
so even though not many of you duel, i want to ask you what you think of this new system

Back to top Go down
danna45
WDA Member
WDA Member
danna45

Achievement Points : 14
Waifu : arcade bumstead

PostSubject: Re: The New Pool System   The New Pool System EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 5:43 pm

In theory it sounds pretty decent. Haven't tried it yet, but I really can't see what's bad about it.
Back to top Go down
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Re: The New Pool System   The New Pool System EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 6:03 pm

danna45 wrote:
In theory it sounds pretty decent. Haven't tried it yet, but I really can't see what's bad about it.
Basically, you can't noobsnipe for easy wins in rated anymore, which is why people come up with all sorts of excuses as to why it is horrible. I am sure there is a 9% or so with actual genuine silly issues, but mostly it's that.

Btw, w/l ratio counts a lot there, all my alt account opponents were at about 500 rating over mine (don't know how my main would work with it since it's only at about 4:1, but then again there's the admin exp in there), in which case I'd understand a bit why they bitch. Think about it, if you farm your rating and get paired with someone of much less rating and exp, it means his w/l ratio was better enough than yours to get matched up with you regardless, meaning you are probably forced to lose a game against a much lower rated opponent, meaning you are forced to lose a lot of your hard earned rating.

However the issue is people are not supposed to farm rating. I know that is the point of an online game, but in no way is a rating system accurate when you top it by breaking even between wins and losses. So if you just get high by playing a lot and not being the better player, it's actually fair that the system gives you some big losses to make rating more accurate. In the end, all you had to do to not lose rating, was being better than your opponent, which is the whole point. On whether rating is better, yeah, sure, it is. Now as to whether it is more fun for people no-lifing DN without the actual ability to back it up, I'd say no, and they are a big part of DN, so I guess it is a valid point of conflict, but unfortunately acknowledging their "effort" and accepting it would be working against the point of the rating system.
Back to top Go down
Bakura Normal
Fangless Vampire
 Fangless Vampire
Bakura Normal

Achievement Points : 12
Waifu : Bakura normal

PostSubject: Re: The New Pool System   The New Pool System EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 6:42 pm

It's good and I find it a lot quicker. Grats to BLS.
Back to top Go down
Nour Force
Magical Girl
Magical Girl
Nour Force

Achievement Points : 114
Waifu : 02

PostSubject: Re: The New Pool System   The New Pool System EmptyFri Mar 01, 2013 7:58 pm

Well, it allows people not to hunt down newbies and it's a lot faster + It clears up issues with "TCG ONLY" and "SPANISH ONLY" etc. So it's pretty sweet.
Back to top Go down
https://worldduelingacademy.forumotion.com/
Dr. Chuckles
WDA Member
WDA Member
Dr. Chuckles

Achievement Points : 0
Waifu : Dr. Chuckles

PostSubject: Re: The New Pool System   The New Pool System EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 12:28 am

i like it, it gives me a duel a lot faster as well as an opponent worth my time that won't just quit half way through. the only downside is that because it's a rating system and ppl are obsessed with winning i've been running into a few burn decks. (yuck) but other than that no complaints from the doc.
Back to top Go down
Dark Magician Soul
WDA Member
WDA Member
Dark Magician Soul

Waifu : Dark Magician Soul

PostSubject: Re: The New Pool System   The New Pool System EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 3:40 am

I duel not much in rated but the new system, eh I'll be honest I REALLY don't like it, I know its meant to help but rated was fine without it all I can guess is that admins wanted to deal with less calls about TCG/OCG but I dont think a "pool" was a good way to fix that could have just added it as an option by itself maybe havea slection of TCG or OCG and then it shows whos hosting for those kind of duels
Back to top Go down
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Re: The New Pool System   The New Pool System EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 4:33 am

No, the reason was not TCG/OCG, we are still getting calls about those.
The issue is that you are not accurately and objectively rated against the rest of the player base of DN if you are choosing your own opponents, so when you consider what the point of rated is, it makes sense.

Another issue, related to this, is noobsniping, otherwise refered to as soft boosting. Highly rated players choosing to play only against newbies because either they worry about losing and still want to play rated, or they want make their w/l ratio better.

Thirdly it's boosting which is a matter also related. Instead of making a law and punishment, make it so there is no problem which would create the crime. That's a decent logic to go by here.

I really have no more than 1 small issue with it, since it's much easier for me now to find duels than before, and much less tedious. Before there were times when my accounts had a horrible time finding them because of the gap between rating and exp (before the admin work raising my exp for no reason...). Now the only times you take a while to find a duel is when there are about 2k users on, in which case you'd have to wait several minutes by the old system anyways.

The only 1 issue I do have is that the boosting catcher bot was not removed, so we got a couple of reports of the automatic boosting ban. Until this is fixed, just don't quit several times against the same opponent.
Back to top Go down
cheymcfly
WDA Member
WDA Member
cheymcfly

Waifu : Cheyasaurus

PostSubject: Re: The New Pool System   The New Pool System EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 6:30 am

I am a big fan of the pool. It helps me find duels a lot faster and I am no longer having language issues smile. It also will cut down on the users banned for "NO DARK WORLDS" duel notes in rated. I have faced the same guy twice in a row and that was no issue for me, we both used different decks and I had enjoyed dueling him.
Back to top Go down
Behemoth
Young Fiend
 Young Fiend
Behemoth

Achievement Points : 20

PostSubject: Re: The New Pool System   The New Pool System EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 7:19 am

I like it very much actually.

Except that I once got the same random guy three times in a row (I won all three but a passable time passed, so I wasn't banned for boosting).
Back to top Go down
http://duelacademy.net/u7064
Alibaba
Red-Eyed Warrior
Red-Eyed Warrior
Alibaba

Achievement Points : 47
Waifu : kys

PostSubject: Re: The New Pool System   The New Pool System EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 2:17 am

Behemoth wrote:

Except that I once got the same random guy three times in a row (I won all three but a passable time passed, so I wasn't banned for boosting).
i don't think banned for boosting is a thing anymore, considering it's kinda... impossible
Back to top Go down
Joker
WDA Member
WDA Member
Joker

Achievement Points : 9
Waifu : Jokercard

PostSubject: Re: The New Pool System   The New Pool System EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 2:38 am

Behemoth wrote:

Alibaba wrote:
i don't think banned for boosting is a thing anymore, considering it's kinda... impossible

al-bhed wrote:
The only 1 issue I do have is that the boosting catcher bot was not removed, so we got a couple of reports of the automatic boosting ban. Until this is fixed, just don't quit several times against the same opponent.

Back to top Go down
Minako
WDA Member
WDA Member
Minako

Achievement Points : 6
Waifu : Minako

PostSubject: Re: The New Pool System   The New Pool System EmptyThu Mar 07, 2013 3:25 am

The pool actually helps in several ways that may or may not have been intended.

It prevents boosting.
It prevents soft boosting.
It cuts back on banning over duel notes.
It prevents two users from setting up situations to troll admins.
It cuts back on accidental ocg/tcg mishaps.
It cuts back on accidentally getting a spanish only opponent.

The only problem I have with it at all is now it forces tcg or ocg when I'm a person that enjoys using both. So now I have to go with one or the other. Boooo

Nvm, I was informed that there is a option for both. No problems with it.
Back to top Go down
ICannotPlayYugioh :)
WDA Member
WDA Member
ICannotPlayYugioh :)

Waifu : ICannotPlayYugioh smile

PostSubject: Re: The New Pool System   The New Pool System EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 6:08 am

It may of sounded good in theory, and I must say, it is decent, but there are some bad points to it.

Number 1: If you have a new account, and you are dueling in rated, you are dealing with a noob who cant play while you have been playing and you know the rules. You wouldn't want to play in rated anymore or even explain to your opponent the rulings, would you?

Number 2: If you choose any other option besides TCG/OCG single, it takes such a long time sometimes. Like when I do TCG single, it takes like 5-10 minutes for me to get a duel, and even longer for a match.

Now for the positives:
No more boosting (Unless that one person admits defeat every single duel against other people, which isn't technically boosting...)
Limits trolling and other factors such as fewer admin calls as the people who are dueling with each other are on a equal playing field..

This is my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The New Pool System   The New Pool System Empty

Back to top Go down

The New Pool System
Page 1 of 1