Hang-OutCalendarHomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Redefining WDA

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DigiDigi
WDA Staff
WDA  Staff
avatar

Achievement Points : 60
Posts : 2501
Reputation : 3447
Waifu : DigiDigi, Digi(^w^)

PostSubject: Redefining WDA   Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:52 am

Rjuto wrote:
Spoiler:
 

Fish wrote:
Spoiler:
 

AliBaba wrote:
Spoiler:
 

Minako wrote:
Spoiler:
 

Al-Bhed wrote:
Spoiler:
 

I wrote:
Inspire me, I beg of you.

If there were anything I would want to say is just this: I'm sorry for bringing my personal issues to you all. I've hit rock-bottom and somehow this criticism has really inspired me, moved me even to realize that I am the one in need of change, not the community.

However, there are questions I wish to propose to everybody (in the intention of clearing up my own confusion of what to do here).

1) Why are we still a dueling academy? Why should we keep our name as a dueling academy if our vision of a dueling academy is to focus on the need to have fun? Couldn't we have fun as anything but labeling ourselves as a dueling academy? Should we keep our name just because we play YGO--keeping in mind the fact we are more of a community than a means to find competition? What do we find fun? What keeps us entertained (if this is the main purpose of staying)? Furthermore, why do we need all of these gimmicks (such as Dueling Leagues, larger scaled events, achievements for dueling or even tournaments) if we are not interested in participating in said events(I make 'we' plural because of the lack of interest in competing in the events that are hosted here.)

2) If the case is that the community wishes to keep a traditional view of what dueling academies used to be, then lets ask ourselves if it is practical to practice that tradition here. Consider how many events we had to trash because of the users who participated in the events due to the lack of interest. Is it even practical to continue hosting events that people aren't interested in? Why should we continue hosting events if the members aren't interested in them?

3) If we aren't a dueling academy, should we consider creating a new identity? Should this identity be a label that reflects what we do and who we are or should this identity be something of the past/ something we strive to be?

4) If said label in number 3 is answered in concern of the community rather than goals, then should we consider using more efficient means of maintaining our community than using a forum?

5) If we are all assuming equal roles, then what is your role? Do you (yes, I'm talking to everyone) assume your role?

In response to the five people whom I have quoted, I will keep my reply short and sweet. Some time ago there was a point where I was left to run events under the assumption and mentality of fulfilling the need to duel. I had a very different view of what WDA was and how our members viewed it as well. I assumed total control over events and have made the habit of doing things without discussion because everybody was busy. I was left with the mentality "If you want something done, do it yourself". I continued that mentality because of the criticism I had concerning the relationship between a dueling academy's events and the member's will to duel.

I will only step back and relax if I know there is a reason to relax. I need to know the purpose of this forum and this community to get a good idea of what I need to do. I've been making too many assumptions of what needs to be done and what should be done about anything. I've always been in this mentality, which is why I made this fuss.

If it is understood what Al said in this topic: http://www.worldduelingacademy.com/t6184-duel-activity#53890 , then I wouldn't have to worry so much about anything that goes on around here. I will abandon my mentality because everything that I quoted has essential truths that need to be understood. I want to know how I can change. I want to know my purpose for being here. I am inspired and happy that you guys will argue with me. I needed this more than anything.

So lets redefine who we are as a community, why we do what we do, and what we want to do.


Je t'aime comme un frère, Kimo. Je ne partirai jamais ton côté.

Quotes
Spoiler:
 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wolfiejim
WDA Member
WDA Member
avatar

Posts : 9
Reputation : 14
Waifu : wolfiejim

PostSubject: Re: Redefining WDA   Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:06 am

So not reading that in full, skimming it will suffice. This probably goes into drama i'm not aware of but here goes nothing

Has anyone seen soul eater? Yeah this is like that: we call ourselves an academy but we use this a central hub to bounce ideas off of, before posting them on Pojo, DNF, and DGz. And just so we're on the up and up about it all, the ideas are paraphrased to suit the average user-base of each forum. Posts shall alternate between members to make it look there isn't a bunch of posts from the same person.

Digi you wanted to better us, Well how about we better the community at large.

or this could be not the issue entirely and i need to suffer through the wall of text that killed my pikachu
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jaden H
WDA Member
WDA Member
avatar

Achievement Points : 0
Posts : 228
Reputation : 262

PostSubject: Re: Redefining WDA   Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:32 am

we are a duel academy
but we are NOT a traditional one "WDA thinking outside the box"

for me this is a place to have fun and no to worry about silly things like dorms and that

i come here to relax not for competition

but there should be some things like inner teams a war team and achievments

these are just my views


Thank you so much Nour!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaiza
WDA Member
WDA Member
avatar

Posts : 108
Reputation : 134
Waifu : Kaiza

PostSubject: Re: Redefining WDA   Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:10 am

ill answer since you asked

1: I think its best we remain what we originally set out to be. Times change, goals change, but that's no reason for the core of its existence to go. Without it, the reason for its existence becomes null and void, and we'll be better off simply making a new academy for something else. We may do many other activities, but at heart, we're still a duel academy, and the last living ones too

2: for this one, I dont think its practical, but its also impractical to remove it altogether. When conditions change, often times creatures change to adapt to the changes, we just need to do the same thing. This game is meant to be competitive, but its meant to be fun too, and maybe, for this format especially, the focus should be more fun than competitive (especially in this format)

3: if we change, then that will take time, as we'll have to decide what we are all over again. That in itelf can be an issue, as with our core purpose gone, what will be the new one, especially when we have so many different focuses?

I cant get an answer for 4 and 5 yet, but ill be sure to post it when I do
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alibaba
Red-Eyed Warrior
Red-Eyed Warrior
avatar

Achievement Points : 47
Posts : 2759
Reputation : 3228
Waifu : kys

PostSubject: Re: Redefining WDA   Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:19 am

1) why are we still a dueling academy? i thought of that more than once before and i was even asked that more than once before and i don't have a good answer to why we still are, i think we're mainly staying like this because it's convenient to us so that we don't have to change, and it'll please the members who don't want it to change from a dueling academy.
i don't think that much would differ if we do actually change, so that's why i say we stay for the ones who wouldn't want to see it change.
what do we find fun and what keeps us entertained? hmm well apparently we like discussing anything and anything, mainly just talking to other people well i can't really talk for everyone but that's what i come here for, i come here for the people and to talk with them
i think gimmicks help keep things lively and changing or that's how i see it, it's fun to see some random thing happening and it also starts talks about it, events are well i won't say they're necessary because i know they're not, but an event every once in a while fun to join in and i think right now we can have some more anime events and cfv,LoL..etc and the occasional ygo events i think a problem with the ygo events is they get too normal and common or too long and dull. events are fine but we need to improve our way of of making events

as for the new label(world dollars academy ftw). we don't really need a new name the name wda is fine because in the end we ARE a dueling academy even if we ourselves can't even see that sometimes, i think being wda helps us get new members that find it from ygo. and most members who aren't into ygo don't really well mind being an actual dueling academy even if they don't duel. and as i mentioned before it pleases those who want it as a dueling academy and not something else
i'm not really sure what you mean by something other than a forum, though the forum can be secondary to the chat tbh. we have those 2 things that keep this place what it is.

i will be honest and say that i stayed here not because of the discussions in the forums or the duels or the cool name even if they were things i enjoyed, i stayed because i enjoyed simply chatting with people, and i still do enjoy it

my role here? uh......role..ok i get what you're asking and i'll say, my role other than what i do for fun, i just try to help or do stuff to make me relevant.

sorry if i disappointed you with this, if i see something wrong with it i'll fix on it later
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unforgiven Pretender
WDA Member
WDA Member
avatar

Achievement Points : 16
Posts : 395
Reputation : 493
Waifu : Unforgiven Pretender

PostSubject: Re: Redefining WDA   Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:20 am

Hmm, I understand your point, and I think that the main point is that people don't necessarily need academies anymore.
Back in the KCVDS days, everyone needed Hamachi to duel. Since Hamachi is a chat service, people liked to have a comminity in which they dueled often, hence the academies appeared.
However, everyone can duel anyone without that now, there's now one big DN forum, and people have no need for academies anymore. With that in mind, people are only here for the community, since they can now duel outside the academy. Since people can duel outside of the academy, tournaments became less popular, because they now have easier ways to compete. (For example the ranking system integrated in DN).
This might be the bane of events stretched out over longer periods, but I think a strong dueling point of academies will always remain, namely live tournaments. I think WDA should focus more on live tournaments, and stop doing the stretched-over-multiple-days tournaments.
So, my advice would be: Focus on the community aspect, but keep the dueling theme, since that's what still binds everyone together. Do more live tournaments, and create competition between members by doing that. I think that would be the way to go.



Yuna: aliens shud be banned..they are too good
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gusto Emissary
WDA Member
WDA Member
avatar

Achievement Points : 1
Posts : 167
Reputation : 216
Waifu : Darkmega500

PostSubject: Re: Redefining WDA   Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:18 am

1) We're a dueling academy because we started out as one. We still duel, although it's not an abundant amount. Not that it needs to be. Our focus is to have fun because we're human. We desire to have these experiences and have a jolly ol' time. If our focus was to be more competitive than fun it'd be taking away the purpose that this card game was even created (Not the money part). The game was made for entertainment, To be able to be Competitive AND have a good time in the process. Like I said the forum doesn't have the most abundant dueling supply, not that it needs it. There are more ways to have fun other than yu-gi-oh (What else are the "Off Topic" and "Posting Games" sections supposed to be used for?). As for the events, we can have spot-on events rather than organised ones, considering there isn't much dueling, but hey, people WILL duel from time to time, I garuntee it(however garuntee is spelled).

2) I already said it, spot-on events considering the circumstances are met. BUT we gotta remember there's a time for play and there's a time where life's priorities take over. Maybe we're just too busy sometimes (Although I don't see why people would use that excuse everytime). Perhaps events will rise in success rate soon enough, perhaps not. It's only a matter of time in my opinion.

Side Note: My sudden appearance from the depths of inactivity does mean I'm considering on re-joining WDA . I need to see if I'm up to it.


Vinceh made this Badassery long ago.

This is my latest piece. One of my best 'surviving' works.


Quote :
~Academy Jester~: Don't let someone become your everything, because once they're gone. You'll have nothing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bloody Kaizer
WDA Member
WDA Member
avatar

Achievement Points : 0
Posts : 104
Reputation : 116
Waifu : Just pm me for et x)

PostSubject: Re: Redefining WDA   Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:51 pm

Well, I decided to ignore mostly everything you people said since I already got the point. Digi, I'll tell you this, there is NOTHING wrong with this academy, in fact, it's one of the academies I actually respect and don't go saying vulgar crap about it. I like WDA, it's awesome, fun, and cool and the staff members do things for this site.

Anyway, on to the main point, if you want to redefine WDA, don't. What you need to do is to have someone, engulfed in many games, to recruit for us since this is an outside of the box academy.

Another thing is tournaments, since you guys would host tournaments mostly about CFV and YGO, I suggest you have Tournament Organizers be more active if you have them already.

I for one, am willing to do and co-hosts a variety of tournaments. Maybe some of you here know that I always make sure the tournaments finished if you need to put it in terms of being active.

I'll be glad to help this academy flourish in every way I can, okay? WDA's already awesome the way it is, you don't have to make it more 'magarbo' to make it the best because for me, it already is the best.






The artist's own history influenced the choice of colours and medium of her or his masterpiece.




Time to repent for your sins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.medievalchaos.net/forum
Pumpkin Row
SKY FIRE
SKY FIRE
avatar

Achievement Points : 42
Posts : 229
Reputation : 278
Waifu : Nourii-tan~

PostSubject: Re: Redefining WDA   Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:37 pm

actually, nothing is even wrong with posting dueling events, this is a dueling site where people only duel if they wanna .-. just make sure the award is enough for them to stay in it. nothing is wrong with the way things are, you have only convinced yourself that something is wrong. this place is active because its fun. why fix what isnt broken?





Favorite Quotes~:
 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EW
WDA Member
WDA Member
avatar

Achievement Points : 7
Posts : 178
Reputation : 275
Waifu : --

PostSubject: Re: Redefining WDA   Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:15 am

I am totally going to get beat up for this. *Puts on an Adachi voice* Don't tell anyone I said this buuuuuuuuuuuuuuttt... I know we're a ygo site and all, but I really would appreciate it if we got some more Cardfight Vanguard love in here. The thing is, it would appear that CfV on this forum is mostly hated, for some irrelevant reason, usually it gets passed as "oh this is a ygo site, you can't talk about cfv here.", I've seen plenty of good forums discuss multiple games and come on.

If you visit here for ygo, you visit here for ygo. I don't, I can't even call what you play yugioh anymore, it's a broken mess. I visit for the chat, and for the cfv section. I'm aware we only really have 2 very active CfV Players. One of which is typing this right now, the other is Mau5. Everyone else seems to either be on the fence, starting to play, or just hate the game. As far as what I want, I just want CfV to be more recognized here, tournements and such if we get enough people active. I'm aware we can't chain people to a chair and force them to like CfV. However, the state of the CfV forum is sad.

We have basicially 2 main posters, the other posts appear to be outright spam, or someone thinking they walked into the ygo section and being like "wtf is this."

Please?









[center]
Quote :
19 Jun 13, 07:57 AM
DigiDigi: IM NOT A STUPID AMERICAB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kitouski
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
avatar

Achievement Points : 2
Posts : 697
Reputation : 866
Waifu : Chino

PostSubject: Re: Redefining WDA   Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:52 pm

This seems like a lot of stress for a thing that's not actually an issue. If the goal is to appeal to a larger audience and grow because of such then I understand, but what makes this community great is the people I know and how I get to interact with them. The duels are fun, the anime talk is fun and the League of Legends talk is fun, but the community is what's important. Tournaments are going now and again, little events like the prom are going now and again, and it's all in good fun. This is a site that started off of a hobby, and expanded into other hobbies... so I think it's just awkward for people to get too antsy about it so long as the staff doesn't "abandon" their hobby. (Given the fact that they have the key to fix issues, regulate things and run events that others cannot at a technical point.)

My role is to come and go as I please so long as I'm just a member. We are a dueling academy because many of us duel, but we do not function like a dueling academy because many of us have other hobbies. This should clear up my thoughts on pretty much all the bullet points.



I'm trying a Youtube thing! https://www.youtube.com/user/BearOnStilts
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Redefining WDA   

Back to top Go down
 
Redefining WDA
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
World Dueling Academy :: Rules and Support :: Support-
Jump to: