World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Al-Bhed's first civ 5 adventure

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

Al-Bhed's first civ 5 adventure Empty
PostSubject: Al-Bhed's first civ 5 adventure   Al-Bhed's first civ 5 adventure EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 9:30 am

I had a vision, to build the mightiest empire out of simply pure intentions and ideals of freedom, equality, solidarity and kindness, one with a great culture and a focus on science, so, I went into civilization 5 with the latest expansion, picked the Greeks with Alexander the Great because he has a really good Noble Phantasm (right? RIGHT?!) and set out on Earth with 11 opponents.

Alas, it was from the get go that I found reality was harsh, as the land where I was forced to set up my first settlement, back in 4000 BC, the great city of Athens, was greatly inhospitable, exiled to the north with only ice and barbarians above it, a landscape full of forests (?), hills and only foxes and elephants to offer resources, furs and ivory which would eventually become Greece's main export. But it is still possible to set up trade routes without a usable land connection, in a way greeks are very familiar with: by sea, so I was holding onto a faint hope of setting up a usable port and perhaps contacting other civilizations in the near future.

Life in the forest wasn't impossible for the greeks. There were some open spaces to set up a couple of farms. Trees would provide a natural defence of sorts to the city of athens, as moving through forests has a movement penalty, meaning that offenders would have to get close to it twice as slow, and receive the ranged attacks of the capital twice before managing to approach it for the first time.

Confident I'd be fine against a group of barbarians, I left my first workers to create much needed farms and send out my warriors on an expendition away from the city. As much as I love the more fine sciences, I had to use my first scientific research on more practical things that would help with food production, and then on things to help with other primary forms of production. My first unit was yet another worker to accelerate my growth.

Moving away from the north, my warriors came in contact with non-barbarian races. The city-state of Zanzibar was my first contact in the game. I am bad with geography, so I don't know much of Zanzibar other than it being where Solid Snake killed Grey Fox. Grey Fox survived that anyways, so I have no beef with them, and Big Boss is cool so it's ok. The fact it was a city-state was important though. Apparently there is only 1 thing Greeks do better than others (besides some cool early units), that's city-states, they like us a lot apparently. So I used that, with just 1 warrior unit that could barely protect myself, I promised I'd protect them, hoping I would never have to prove it. It worked out well, despite them having a much stronger military force than me at the time, Zanzibar people love me, they are so gullible.

It wasn't long before I made contact with another group. They were sneaky as they were red. Red is also the colour those nasty barbarians have, which barbarians seem to have it in for me more than anyone else. But that red was good red. That red was the red of Ethiopia, a computer controlled civilization therefore one of my competitors. Despite us both being pretty primitive (even though their leader was obviously from modern history), we hit it off pretty well. Unfortunatelly he didn't want to be my friend right off the bat, he was probably weirded out, and we didn't make a trade either, but it was all still good, Haile Selassie seemed like a pretty chill dude.

Barbarians on the other hand were becoming annoying. I had many skirmishes with their stray units early on. After producing my second warrior unit I was able to take them with some hit and run tactics and focushing a bit on defense, while specializing one unit for flat land and another for flat land to better combat them. Trees were a great help with the rough land unit. Still, they didn't seem to bother anyone else. It could be because I was activelly trying to kill their units off for free culture. Murder seems to greatly help my people in becoming cultured. Even though they weren't actually attacked, and they already had a solid defense, it seems that Zanzibar are either wushes or they wanted to take advantage of me, so they asked me to kill Barbarians in their territories. Killing off Barbarian camps takes a great deal of hit and run and is annoying with early game troops. Game said I needed more than 1 unit and coordinated attacks, but with some baiting it worked out with just 1, it's not like I could produce that many units. Once I killed them, Zanzibarians were amazed and said they would become my friends. We hugged.

Then it was the time of multiple developments. My foreign matters advisor (who happens to be a very hot chick) advised me to make a settler to make another city, even though I could barely manage one and apparently citizens become more unhappy if you have many cities. I did it anyways (she was a very hot chick), and sent my newly made settler in an equal distance between Athens and my Zanzibarian neighboors, creating my second city. Upon seeing it I exclamaied "huh, this is Sparta" because it was Sparta. To this day Sparta has produced just 1 military unit. Hardly the biggest historical inconsistency in the game though.

To my surprise, with Sparta my empire now actually started to flourish. My production spread to ivory, which was Sparta's main export now (since Sparta is full of elephants, as everyone knows), and I now had a good strategic standing. Then I asked the Ethiopians to become my friends again. They accepted and we became the best of friends. We hugged. We also made a lot of trades. Ethiopians gave me a lot of money for useless stuff. I like them. I also proposed that they give me 150 gold instantly and I give them 5 gold every turn for 30 turns. They didn't realize that was a loan without interest, so they were glad to accept. Ethiopians are cool guys, but not very smart apparently.

It was around that time that I met with wandering troops from France and Egypt. I met their leaders. I asked them to become friends. They declined. I also wanted to trade with them, but they didn't want to. They were being pretty mean to me. Apparently they were really far away so I didn't have to worry about them though, while my best buds, Ethiopians, were my neighboors, on the other side of Zanzibar.

Zanzibar then asked for the wisdom of a great general. I was Alexander the Great so I don't know what they wanted someone else for, still, I wanted to do it and gain influence, so I got a culture that gave me a free general, because it seems the only other way to gain it is to kill people who are not barbarians, and that seemed too troublesome. They were in awe of my great general and became my Allies. It was then that I realized that the way to go for greeks was to pimp dem city states. Immidiatelly afterwards I sacrificed the great general to make a star shaped building. It's like I had to build him in the foundation or something, it was creepy.

Athens wanted Wine. Dunno what that meant, it just popped up. Drunkards I say, but for the first time it was something historically accurate, so I wanted to make it happen. I traded for some with the Ethiopians, and then the athenians went like "Omg, it's wine, we love you king, we will now work more" so they worked more. Still historically accurate. My people were also very happy apparently so we entered a golden age very soon.

My objectives then were: kill barbarians in the north and hopefully get to water, kill barbarians below zanzibar and hopefully pimp them more, explore east forest, make city in the south to get minerals. It was a dull process but I was getting better at stuff.

Time was passing and a number of things happened. Zanzibar influence was dropping despite the fact I was keeping barbarians away, and they now wanted a statue of Zeus for some god forsaken reason. I started making a statue of Zeus. Also, I was able to make Companion cavalry units , which apparently were very good greek cavalry units and my general (not a hot chick) was insisting I make them. I was against it, but apparently listening only to hot chicks is not a good idea, companion cavalry was pretty cool (companion as in "hetairoi"). I also came in contact with aztecs. I didn't like them because Montezuma sounds like he is saying my name in a condescending way. Still I asked them to be friends. They didn't wanna. I tried to trade with them, but apparently they were very poor. Useless. On other news, France started trading with me, it was them that provided the horses for the horsemen. They still didn't want to be my friends. I traded a bit with egypt too, but they were poor as well, with only culture going for them. They still didn't want to be my friends even though it would help them since they were dead last. Ramesses II is stupid. He made my "to humiliate" list.

My explorations to the east brought me in contact with the city-state of Zurich, which I activelly tried to pimp as well, by killing barbarians and adding dyes to my trade network as they requested. Of course I pledged to protect them as well, despite having no way to reach them before they fell. Thankfully the aztecs had dyes they were willing to trade for furs. I didn't like the trade, but I like pimping city-states. Second city-state ally acquired.
As far as scores go, I was third among the guys I knew. It should be noted I knew 4, so I was missing 7, probably because I spawned at the top of the world with no one close to trade with. Considering my focus was on trade, that was pretty bad. Anyways, below me was france by a bit, then egypt was pretty bad off, constantly with a negative income. First was Ethiopia, probably because of our trade relationship. I was now thinking of how to get rid of them. Aztecs were a bit above me, because it seems the reason they were piss poor is that they were focusing on military stuff, so they used mass murder as a source of income. Damn them. In retrospect, giving those guys iron was not the best idea. Also, Zurich said I was the most scientifically advanced guy they knew and considered everyone else primitive, so I got a bunch of influence. I felt very proud for that. My trade caravans later told me though that their other neighboors, Ethiopians, outscienced me. Those guys really had to go...

Then Athens stopped liking wine and now wanted gold. They didn't think I was the best king every anymore, because I didn't have gold in my trading network. Stupid athenians, money hasn't been invented yet, what the heck do you think I've been trading all game long and now have a constant income of. What do you think you are using to buy stuff, paper bills? No, it's gold, that's the only currency we have. But no, that gold isn't good enough, we want resource gold because it's cool. Stupid city people...

Before I knew it we had reached 825 BC, at which year Ethiopians founded Orthodoxy as their religion. Still historically accurate. My settlement south of Athens in the desert was Corinthos, which was now producing copper, iron and later silver. Cavalry was my go-to barbarian killing unit, as they could move 5 squares (unlike everything else that moves with 2) and were strong enough to kill very fast. Remember that the battlefield was Earth, but I was still unsure of where I was. Obviously I was north and in fact the northest since I was seeing icebergs. The question was, north europe, or north america? One thing's for sure, no matter how south I went I could not find the geographically accurate greece.

Trades, trade sciences, trade structure and trade cultures were going pretty well for me, I was getting a lot of gold, but unfortunatelly I was trading so much that no civilization I knew had an actual income in order to trade me money for my resources. The only ones still economically standing were Ethiopians, but trading them meant helping them progress, which sucked. The global economy was stagnant... My expansion on the other hand was all good, since I had the cash to support forced productions. I searched a bit north and then a bit to the west to find a suitable port (since obviously it was impossible to find one south). My quest led me to founding the now furthest city of my empire away from Athens, the port city of Argos.

The port city of Argos had access to a single tile of fish and was built on snow with just 1 tile of an exploitable resource, that being our very familiar fur.  A couple of tiles in front of the port of argos there were icebergs, so you could say the open sea I ended up in was just an exaggerated, very cold, river. Alas Iskandar, still not Okeanos. Not that you'd find it by going north-west, but it was impossible to advance that much on the east yet. Exploring by sea from Argos, the west was completely blocked by ice. The west coast was a bit open, but had nothing but barbarians, no civilization in sight. On the bright sight, just south of argos I came in contact with the borders of the city state of Brussels, which made me very happy. I was not happy to hear they were already under the protection of both the Ethiopians and the Egyptians. I pledged to protect them as well because why not. It seems Brussels really like culture, so they made a contest for all their would be pimps to see who was the most cultured, and they said they would go with the most cultured one. I liked the idea, but as I didn't favour tradition that much due to my ideals, I was having issues competing on the culture side, despite mine being still pretty high.

I also set up embassies everywhere! And they set up embassies at my place too. I could now see that the Aztecs were all the way to the east, Paris was seperated by Corinthos by just a desert and Thebes was all the way to the South. Trading was also fixed a while later because people were prospering.  Aztecs also went first among the people I knew, overtaking the Ethiopians with their bloodthirsty ways. Still nobody else wanted to be friends with me other than ethiopians, which would still renew the loan without interest every time it ran out, because as they said, it was a sign of our continued friendship. That's Ethiopian for "we made a stupid deal and want to cover it up".  

Then I learned the Egyptians beat me at Brussel's culture contest. Apparently they are piss poor because they focus on culture. now Brussels really love Egypt. I am thinking of destroying Brussels since they have some land Argos really needs... I will have to wait for the ethiopian protection to run out first, or better yet, have them attack too...

Also, I went through a Golden Age twice more by then, because for some reason my citizens were always super happy. Argonians (heh, argonians) also wanted gold, because, you know, they had it back at their caves. Anyways, I traded Ethiopia for it which now had an ok trade for me to get it and both Argos and Athens declared me as the number one guy you'd want as a monarch. Corinthians wanted pearls, but I couldn't trade them at the time. Spartans wanted truffles. Screw spartans, where the heck am I supposed to find truffles, get real. I also made streets. I had made some before linking Athens, Sparta and Zanzibar, then I tried to link Corinthos and failed miserably, making some sort of race circuit before actually connecting (it even had an 8 shape!).

It was around that time we passed 0 AD and Christ was supposedly born too, which made Ethiopia's national religion much more plausible. I was busy expanding to the east and to the west, dispatching of barbarians around Zurich in the east and exploring for a more suitable port in the west of Argos.

That took a while but finally I found something that helped me get where I was. Scandinavia was in sight in the far west. That means Athens was situated in the middle of Siberia (pretty north though). Now the landscape makes much more sense. Also, apparently, if you count my city state allies, my influence spread over most of the USSR. That would put Paris in the middle east, Theba somewhere near India, Ethiopia just east of the USSR and the Aztecs somewhere in south China. Of course that dashed my hopes of finding a suitable port. Even if I settle in Scandinavia, only port I can properly reach is in Siberia, where I already am, and sorry Broskandar but Okeanos is much too hard, not only do I have to deal with the largest concentration of barbarians yet in the hardest place to reach from Athens (way too many hills, forests and some rivers), even if I get there I still don't know if it's occupied, and I would have to set up a lone city next to the biggest current military superpower, which really does not want to be friends with me. But I at least had money, so I could try and fix that by settling far from my homeland and then forcing some initial production with the power of money, which was really with me by then. So the plan was to continue around scandinavia on one side to find a suitable port in the west eventually, while exploring the east to find a suitable port around china, north of the aztecs and hope I can do something about them invading me.

It was during that western exploration that I came across the pink guys. The 5th civilization I made contact with via some of their troops with a common barbarian slaying goal, was the Koreans. I said common barbarian killing goal but they wouldn't touch the things, I'm beginning to think they all rely on me to kill barbarians. Koreans were somewhere around Spain, couldn't exactly tell with the fog of war. I asked them to be friends. They didn't wanna. I tried to trade, but didn't get much. Fortunatelly they had pearls, I got them somehow and the Corinthians joined the king love party.

I had made a second fishing ship. It was useless since there was no other fish tile anywhere near my territory, so I send it for exploration instead of naval warriors, since it was travelling fast. Unit dies in one hit, but I decided not to care much and just be a bit careful.

Said fishing ship helped find the solution to my problem. A small island in the west, with 2 ancient ruins no less, which could host a port city. There were 2 problems. It was infested with barbarians which would keep spawning there with no way out, so I had to bring fighting units from far away to deal with them. The other problem was that according to the route my fishing ship could take, I could not go further along the sea route without being blocked. What was blocking me was Korea's capital, Seoul, which for some reason was on Gibraltar. Now with the map revealed I could tell what that was Seoul was on, and that the small island I was refering to was in fact Great Britain. I tried to do things one at a time and first get some fighting units there to deal with the barbarians and utilize the ruins. Also, I found there the city-state of Riga, in a small patch of sea above Korea's second city. They were Korea's allies at the time. I pledged to protect them anyways.

Koreans were getting really annoying. They were allies with a city state, when obviously all city states are mine, and worst of all, the shut down my viable port while actually occupying my dream port. As if that weren't enough, they never seemed to have money to give me in trades. It was then that I realized something. The Koreans had 0 gold in reserve and a constant negative income of -9. Makes you wonder how the heck they were sustaining their civilization and why the heck are 2 of their warrior units wondering around my borders, way too far from home, while they obviously can't afford that many of them. I could certainly beat Koreans in one field, money. In fact, I (greece) was the richest nation, with the biggest turn by turn income by far, and hey, maybe I could help them if they would become friends with me so I could give them money directly. But no, even after pissing me off that far, the Koreans wouldn't be my friends either.

Seeing them constantly wandering right on my borders, so far from home, seeing them having the port that would make me a billionaire, I came to a decision. I would kill the Koreans. I would send a settler to great britain while trying to clear it with fighting units. From there I would make a city and from Great Britain which is right next to them and able to deploy units by sea right above their cities, I would destroy them all using the power of money and catapults, which are bought instantly with said money. Also I would use the cavalry unit which had actually reached their borders while exploring, as well as the units that I sent to take out the barbarians.

But that would take some time and it is still not done until now. What did happen was that in the meanwhile, 2 of my cavalry units, with help from a warrior unit and my scout unit had cleared out most of the barbarians in the east and were getting close to the aztecs to check the surrounding area. It was around that time that the guys I was trading with had to include Open borders in the things they were giving me to make the trade, because they were poor. I had to accept because otherwise no trade so I keep useless stuff (too much happyness to care for luxury resources). Aztecs also opened their borders, so my cavalrymen could pass through them and check the Aztecs out. I was thinking of going at war with them in the future because they also had a port that I wanted, and in case you didn't notice, I like ports, so it was a good opportunity to remove the fog of war in the area, as well as get the chance to meet other civilizations faster by passing through. It would be also a good idea to keep an eye on them since they are so military focused.

Then, while I was exploring, and passing through another city-state I found, which I of course also pledged to protect, I reached the sea and got an idea. What if I took Japan as my port? If it's unocupied by a civilization, like great britain, it would be an excelent opportunity, since due to my technological and cultural advancements, the aztecs can't match me at sea, so they won't hit my city while overseas, and even if they can get by the sea, 2 cavalry units holding the port tiles would be enough since they don't have the technology for ranged naval units. At last, Okeanos may be within your grasp Ridekandar.

Finally, the city-state of Riga dropped out of the alliance with Korea (that helps) and asked me to kill some bandits, which I am about to do and get friendly with them. Unfortunatelly Zurich's quest for influence is to bully Riga, which I don't intend to do. That sucks...

Those were the adventures of Alexander the Great until now, Civ 5 is so addicting, and I wrote too much.
Back to top Go down
Lupe
WDA Member
WDA Member
Lupe

Achievement Points : 1
Waifu : Retired

PostSubject: Re: Al-Bhed's first civ 5 adventure   Al-Bhed's first civ 5 adventure EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 12:51 pm

summary: al-bhed loves civ 5 and now he regrets writing too much.
Back to top Go down
Fish
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Fish

Achievement Points : 0
Waifu : Meheheh

PostSubject: Re: Al-Bhed's first civ 5 adventure   Al-Bhed's first civ 5 adventure EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Did you get just G&K or did you also get Brave New World?
Back to top Go down
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Re: Al-Bhed's first civ 5 adventure   Al-Bhed's first civ 5 adventure EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 12:21 am

Brave new world too
Back to top Go down
Fish
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Fish

Achievement Points : 0
Waifu : Meheheh

PostSubject: Re: Al-Bhed's first civ 5 adventure   Al-Bhed's first civ 5 adventure EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 2:58 am

i'll play with you some time. I don't have Brave New World yet, but you can disable that if you really want, I should get Brave New World soon anyways.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Al-Bhed's first civ 5 adventure   Al-Bhed's first civ 5 adventure Empty

Back to top Go down

Al-Bhed's first civ 5 adventure
Page 1 of 1