World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Reikan
Baby Turtle
 Baby Turtle
Reikan

Achievement Points : 12
Waifu : MangArmand

Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) Empty
PostSubject: Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE)   Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 4:52 am

So you hear me talk about "portal" games (portal games as in games that do a good job at easing you into a style of gaming) over at my biographical article. This is purely from my experience and my suggestions for easing into a Steam-era of PC gaming. 
DISCLOSURE: THIS LIST IS UNORDERED...sorry...I really can't rank these games because they're all so good. So I'll leave that up to you guys. So please order them to your preference when you post. Please do keep in mind that this is intended for people trying to get into PC gaming.

1.) Half-Life 2 - $10 w/out DLC

Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) Combine-Half-Life-2-Logo-half-life-2494517-1024-768

2.) The Basement Collection (includes Super Meat Boy) - $5

Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) TBC610

3.) Fallout 3 -$20 (it always seems to be on sale down to $5...)

Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) 3

4.) Left for Dead 2 -$20 w/out DLC

Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) Left-4-Dead-2-Sanctum-2-and-More-Now-Support-Steam-Trading-Cards-2

5.) Bioshock - $20

Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) BioShock-bioshock-15605938-1200-800

6.) Team Fortress 2 -FREE

Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) Team%2BFortress%2B2%2BWallpaper3

7.) Portal 2 - $20

Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) Mahou-shoujo-madoka-magica-kyubey-miki-sayaka-tomoe-mami.e4ae7cd32c241ffbe9c0a19a1fecaacc-16809

8.) Borderlands 2 - $30 w/out DLC

Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) D0lf6Wi

9.) Garry's Mod - $10 (this seems to be on sale often too)

Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) X60v48

10.) Castle Crashers - $15

Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) Castle-Crashers-Knights

All I have to say for those who have no games in their Steam library *cough* Danna *cough*, TF2 is the absolute must-have.

Last edited by Reikan on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://ilikeanimesobiteme.tumblr.com/
Centrik
Mini Gear
Mini Gear
Centrik

Achievement Points : 11
Waifu : Centrik

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE)   Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 4:55 am

Let's all go with Portal 2.
Back to top Go down
Kitouski
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kitouski

Achievement Points : 2
Waifu : Chino

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE)   Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 5:35 am

Portal 2 at an artistic and critical standpoint imo is the best game hands down out of all them.

Fallout 3 is probably the most fun of them to me personally.
Back to top Go down
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kimo Force

Achievement Points : 9
Waifu : Galko-chan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE)   Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 10:30 am

I'm more of a Borderlands fanboy, so I'll go with Borderlands 2.
Still, those are all great games, I kid you not. The only one I couldn't get into much was Team Fortress 2, and I never got to try Fallout.
Back to top Go down
Kitouski
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kitouski

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE)   Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Just realized... this is what our top 10 Steam favorites are huh? Assuming that's the case and everyone got the point of this thread wrong (lemme know if I'm wrong here and I'll gtfo) I'll post my top 10 favorite steam games... with a couple rules, I'm not counting console releases and I'm not counting games that were on PC for a while before getting added to Steam. (Such as Fallout 1 and 2 or Morrowind) With the fact that I'm a hipster in mind:

10. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - Picture any objective shooter and make them all Skyrim characters. Ladies and gentleman, Chivalry. The best and worst part about this game is you seriously feel like you're in a suit of armor, clunky and awkward but it just feels right.

9. Organ Trail: Director's Cut - There's something about role-playing experiences were there's deep customization and the unexpected can happen that I enjoy. Games are games, and have never been a "escape of realism" unless they managed to do that. Oregon Trail is a game a handful of people might remember which was a lot of people's first experience with a game that tried to do a lot of that, and Organ Trail is the recent, zombie apocalypse spin off of the same concept. Amazing experience and one of the best things I've played all year, but you can really only play it a couple times.

8. Retro City Rampage - This game is not great per say, but it's far from bad. It's fun, has a lot to do and a lot to explore. It's pretty much an overhead 8-bit Grand Thieft Auto (or if you played GTA1 or 2... exactly like those) Half of it's fun is in it's references. This game is an old school gold mine. Couldn't recommend it too heavily to anyone who doesn't like retro games, but I also couldn't imagine anyone calling it a bad game outside of that.

7. DOTA 2 - I prefer League of Legends over DOTA2, but there's something that DOTA 2 can do that LoL just can't. League prefers counter play, understanding the champion and never feeling cheated while feeling a sense of accomplishment when accomplishing something. Many abused things get nerfed, things with easy readability are changed, and overall LoL does what any REAL MMO should do to strive and make a better game. DOTA 2 threw all that out the window and decided the only way to beat something overpowered is to make everything overpowered. The frustrating thing of this game is how insane hard it is to gauge anything, it's like a 5v5 Bazooka fight. Whenever I just want to feel like I'm a complete asshat, I play DOTA 2. Whenever I want to play a game, I play LoL.

6. Natural Selection 2 - Whoever thought mixing RTS and FPS elements into an aliens vs humans game... is genius. I would rate this game higher but it's plagued with cheese strategies that go unpunished for. Other then that, it's amazingly fun and creative, and the creators do still bring new patches to the game given how difficult it is to keep such a concept balanced for both teams.

5. Legend of Grimrock - I don't even know how to quite explain this one. A modern day, beautiful dungeon crawling game that uses old dungeon crawling gameplay engine concepts. If you think you've played a dungeon crawler in the last 10 years and know what a dungeon crawler is, you don't unless you've played this game or it's older then 10 years.

4. Antichamber - A first-person puzzle exploration game that I have a hard time being critical of. It's seriously a mind trip. “The most tenacious, infuriating obstacle you’ll face throughout the game is yourself.” - PC Gamer <- best way to summarize how you'll feel playing the game.

3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive -
Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) Counter-Strike-Global-Offensive-Aztec
I'm not hipster enough to call everything older better, in fact everything about CS:GO I like more then it's predecessors; an opinion that's honestly not that popular. I don't play any of those Modernduty: Battle Warefare games often, but Counter-Strike is perhaps the only more traditional multiplayer shooter left that I'll stop and spend some time on. Don't know what it is. Some people play Halo, some people play CoD, and some people play Counter-Strike.

2. Hotline Miami -
Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) 11921Hotline_Miami_1
Seriously, whoever thought of giving Hotline Miami it's own genre name of "Top down fuck'em up" is a genius because it certainly isn't a top down beat'em up. Tons of mindless fun, was good enough for me to see it through more then once.

1. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale -
Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) Recettear-an-item-shops-tale-review-3
I can't not make this my 1st. An RPG, economy simulating, moe adventure game on Steam, sign me up. It's seriously amazing, I know out of most obscure titles this one gets the most hype for being simply amazing, but it doesn't get enough. I'd talk about the game in length but too many words, steam has a summary. Capitalism ho!
Back to top Go down
Reikan
Baby Turtle
 Baby Turtle
Reikan

Achievement Points : 12
Waifu : MangArmand

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE)   Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 5:11 pm

Kitouski wrote:
Just realized... this is what our top 10 Steam favorites are huh? Assuming that's the case and everyone got the point of this thread wrong (lemme know if I'm wrong here and I'll gtfo) I'll post my top 10 favorite steam games... with a couple rules, I'm not counting console releases and I'm not counting games that were on PC for a while before getting added to Steam. (Such as Fallout 1 and 2 or Morrowind) With the fact that I'm a hipster in mind:

10. Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - Picture any objective shooter and make them all Skyrim characters. Ladies and gentleman, Chivalry. The best and worst part about this game is you seriously feel like you're in a suit of armor, clunky and awkward but it just feels right.

9. Organ Trail: Director's Cut - There's something about role-playing experiences were there's deep customization and the unexpected can happen that I enjoy. Games are games, and have never been a "escape of realism" unless they managed to do that. Oregon Trail is a game a handful of people might remember which was a lot of people's first experience with a game that tried to do a lot of that, and Organ Trail is the recent, zombie apocalypse spin off of the same concept. Amazing experience and one of the best things I've played all year, but you can really only play it a couple times.

8. Retro City Rampage - This game is not great per say, but it's far from bad. It's fun, has a lot to do and a lot to explore. It's pretty much an overhead 8-bit Grand Thieft Auto (or if you played GTA1 or 2... exactly like those) Half of it's fun is in it's references. This game is an old school gold mine. Couldn't recommend it too heavily to anyone who doesn't like retro games, but I also couldn't imagine anyone calling it a bad game outside of that.

7. DOTA 2 - I prefer League of Legends over DOTA2, but there's something that DOTA 2 can do that LoL just can't. League prefers counter play, understanding the champion and never feeling cheated while feeling a sense of accomplishment when accomplishing something. Many abused things get nerfed, things with easy readability are changed, and overall LoL does what any REAL MMO should do to strive and make a better game. DOTA 2 threw all that out the window and decided the only way to beat something overpowered is to make everything overpowered. The frustrating thing of this game is how insane hard it is to gauge anything, it's like a 5v5 Bazooka fight. Whenever I just want to feel like I'm a complete asshat, I play DOTA 2. Whenever I want to play a game, I play LoL.

6. Natural Selection 2 - Whoever thought mixing RTS and FPS elements into an aliens vs humans game... is genius. I would rate this game higher but it's plagued with cheese strategies that go unpunished for. Other then that, it's amazingly fun and creative, and the creators do still bring new patches to the game given how difficult it is to keep such a concept balanced for both teams.

5. Legend of Grimrock - I don't even know how to quite explain this one. A modern day, beautiful dungeon crawling game that uses old dungeon crawling gameplay engine concepts. If you think you've played a dungeon crawler in the last 10 years and know what a dungeon crawler is, you don't unless you've played this game or it's older then 10 years.

4. Antichamber - A first-person puzzle exploration game that I have a hard time being critical of. It's seriously a mind trip. “The most tenacious, infuriating obstacle you’ll face throughout the game is yourself.” - PC Gamer <- best way to summarize how you'll feel playing the game.

3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive -
Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) Counter-Strike-Global-Offensive-Aztec
I'm not hipster enough to call everything older better, in fact everything about CS:GO I like more then it's predecessors; an opinion that's honestly not that popular. I don't play any of those Modernduty: Battle Warefare games often, but Counter-Strike is perhaps the only more traditional multiplayer shooter left that I'll stop and spend some time on. Don't know what it is. Some people play Halo, some people play CoD, and some people play Counter-Strike.

2. Hotline Miami -
Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) 11921Hotline_Miami_1
Seriously, whoever thought of giving Hotline Miami it's own genre name of "Top down fuck'em up" is a genius because it certainly isn't a top down beat'em up. Tons of mindless fun, was good enough for me to see it through more then once.

1. Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale -
Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) Recettear-an-item-shops-tale-review-3
I can't not make this my 1st. An RPG, economy simulating, moe adventure game on Steam, sign me up. It's seriously amazing, I know out of most obscure titles this one gets the most hype for being simply amazing, but it doesn't get enough. I'd talk about the game in length but too many words, steam has a summary. Capitalism ho!

Yeah this is a thread about portal games into PC gaming via Steam. As in the beginner's choices for games.
Back to top Go down
http://ilikeanimesobiteme.tumblr.com/
Kitouski
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kitouski

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE)   Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 7:50 pm

See, I got confused with the whole term "portal" and talking about Steam... owned by Valve that made Portal, which is on the list, lul. Also lost me on the whole "easing you into a style of gaming" explaination and I still don't think I do or will get it. IN THAT CASE I almost feel like I should take my long winded mistaken post into a "personal favorites from Steam" thread for the heck of it, since now it looks giant and off-topic. q-q
Back to top Go down
Fish
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Fish

Achievement Points : 0
Waifu : Meheheh

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE)   Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 4:24 am

1.) TF2
2.) Skyrim
3.) Portal 1 & 2
4.) Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
5.) Borderlands 1 & 2
6.) Bioshock 1
7.) Deus Ex: Human Revolution
8.) Sid Meier's Civ 5
9.) Now I'm struggling, but we'll go with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
10.) The Binding of Isaac if we're talking games first played on PC.
If not, Call of Duty games and even Battlefield games, brought alot of attention to the PC gamer people.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE)   Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE) Empty

Back to top Go down

Top 10 Steam "Portal" Games (YOU CHOOSE)
Page 1 of 1