World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Creative Direction of Generation X: Opinions Needed

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
J.J. Knight
Envoy Soldier
Envoy Soldier
J.J. Knight

Achievement Points : 32
Waifu : no laifu

The Creative Direction of Generation X: Opinions Needed Empty
PostSubject: The Creative Direction of Generation X: Opinions Needed   The Creative Direction of Generation X: Opinions Needed EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 1:33 pm

As some of you may have noticed, I've been on hiatus from writing the Pokemon Generaton X Fanfiction. To be honest, I've been reconstructing the Generation X storyline to better follow the release of Pokemon X and Y. Because of the introduction, I've been remodeling the Teams harshly, adding and removing certain Pokemon and characters for a better story.

Now, I know what you are thinking; JJ, why don't you simply remove the stuff you want taken out? Well, it's not that easy. I've been working on Generation X since 2003, over ten years of building. To show you how much work I've put into my series, here is a synopsis of Generation X from the very beginning.

After playing through the first game as RED and was about to start my second Pokemon game, Silver, a friend of mine suggested that I play the game as a character of my own creation and make my own story. Taking his advice, I created the character, Krobra (The same username that I started as in TWA and briefly on WDA in the beginning). I came up with the name as a modification of Bakura, one of my favorite anime characters at the time. With switching around the letters and changing the 'u' to an 'o', I created my first character, and I kept him ever since, modifying him little until the release of B2/W2

Shortly before the release of FireRed and Leaf Green, I began to create a brand new character, Blaze, a hot headed Fire type Trainer. With his creation, I began writing my Generation X fanfic. I then created a new character on the opposite version of LeafGreen, Flora, the second character I created. Hydra, renamed River a year ago, was created on a secondary playthrough of Leaf Green.

After getting Emerald and playing through as all three characters, I decided to create a new character, Voltage, the Electric type Trainer. Inspiration came from the anime, more specific, Ash's Pikachu.

As the Platnium version came out, I revived my Pokemon story and introduced yet another new character, Norman, a Normal Trainer with an Eevee that refused to evolve. Inspiration came from replaying Pokemon Yellow on an emulator, wondering what it would be like playing through the game with an Eevee.

When HeartGold and SoulSilver came out, I created seven new characters, one of which was introduced in the first Volume of Generation X, Rocky. I had planned to introduce all these characters in major roles, but I've decided to remove them while posting them here and give them minor roles down the line (Two of which were a lesbian couple, using Ice and Psychic, another pair were twin brothers with tortured pasts, using Dark and Ghost. Another is a Steel Type trainer scientist and the other is a Legendary Dragon Tamer, both of which will make an appearance at a later time as they are my favorite characters).

Since the release of Generation V, the character teams have gone drastic changes over time. With the inclusion of the Generation VI Pokemon still being released, the final team members have not been fully decided at this time. However, this brings up several issues that I'd like to hear from the readers and get their opinions on.

Firstly, there's Norman. I've never really given Norman much attention during the original story. He's always been "that guy on the side with an Eevee that never evolved". I know the readers haven't been very fond of the Norman character. Which brings me to my question: Should Norman be removed overall?

Currently, the plans I have for him is to be killed off at the end of the Kanto League, causing the other trainers to go to Johto to search for the killer. With plans already set in motion to remove him, and heavy editing already in motion to increase writing production, should I simply remove Norman? He's a very minor character at this point, barely seen by the reader. He was meant to be the "Blue" of the Generation X series, yet I don't have him in often.

Secondly, there's the cameos that I've done for certain readers. I'm not against having reader involvement in my story. My stories often evolve around the characters and their developments. However, with the inclusion of these characters, I feel that the focus is being shifted from the main characters. Because of the focus split, I feel that I am unable to define the characters based off said readers. In the current point in the story, they are heavily involved with the main characters. I was heavily against this idea in the beginning, as WDA has a knack of trying to be involved with other writers, yet are instead often misrepresented or the project dies relatively soon. However, I wanted to reward the readers by including them in some way, which now gave them near main character roles. With the focus meant to be on the main four characters, should I lessen their roles, or do you feel they are fine the way they are? There's currently only three characters based off of WDA members. Those being Marie (Lesbihonest), Fila (akaFila), and Gray (Mau5). How would you like to see these characters handled, as they were not the original planned characters?

Thirdly, there's the villain. J is originally my very first character, Krobra; a collector turned evil after obsessing over super rare Pokemon, mainly Arceus. I changed the name of Krobra to J.J. Knight, or Joshua, in B/W when Unova came out. For the Generation X fanfic, I decided to give him the alias J, as I felt myself as the villain would be a bit cliche. I would like to hear the reader's opinion on the antagonist. Should I revert him back to Krobra, the original, or should I change his name back to J.J. Knight, the modified version? Should he go under the alias J, or should he come out and state who he is? I currently have plans for the character, and do not intend to write him out.

I would also like to discuss certain mechanics and items that I would like to implement into the story. With the reveal of Mega Evolutions, would you like me to introduce Mega Evolution early, or leave it behind for a later time? Earlier today, we had the reveal of the Mega Evolutions for the Kanto Starters. With those confirmed, Mega Evolutions for the main character's Starters achieving Mega Evolution is now possible. Would you like to see them achieving these new game mechanics as early as Kanto, or keep it strictly to Kalos when they reach it?

Lastly, with the new modified achievements for the Writer, I have been debating on whether to go back and edit the current story, filling in chapters with more development and giving the characters more depth. With the character limit at 7,000 characters, this should be possible with simple editing.

What would you, the readers, like to see from Generation X? What would you like to see improved, removed, or altered? Your feedback is appreciated, and will be taken into consideration for editing. Thank you for your time.
Back to top Go down
Pumpkin Row
SKY FIRE
SKY FIRE

Achievement Points : 42

The Creative Direction of Generation X: Opinions Needed Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Creative Direction of Generation X: Opinions Needed   The Creative Direction of Generation X: Opinions Needed EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 2:17 pm

J.J.Knight wrote:
Firstly, there's Norman. I've never really given Norman much attention during the original story. He's always been "that guy on the side with an Eevee that never evolved". I know the readers haven't been very fond of the Norman character. Which brings me to my question: Should Norman be removed overall?

J.J.Knight wrote:
Currently, the plans I have for him is to be killed off at the end of the Kanto League, causing the other trainers to go to Johto to search for the killer. With plans already set in motion to remove him, and heavy editing already in motion to increase writing production, should I simply remove Norman? He's a very minor character at this point, barely seen by the reader. He was meant to be the "Blue" of the Generation X series, yet I don't have him in often.
I, personally, think he should be killed off. would show how ruthless the villain is, and would put his character to good use. best possible plan of action for a character seen as little as him. removing him altogether instead would be a terrible waste.

J.J.Knight wrote:
Secondly, there's the cameos that I've done for certain readers. I'm not against having reader involvement in my story. My stories often evolve around the characters and their developments. However, with the inclusion of these characters, I feel that the focus is being shifted from the main characters. Because of the focus split, I feel that I am unable to define the characters based off said readers. In the current point in the story, they are heavily involved with the main characters. I was heavily against this idea in the beginning, as WDA has a knack of trying to be involved with other writers, yet are instead often misrepresented or the project dies relatively soon. However, I wanted to reward the readers by including them in some way, which now gave them near main character roles. With the focus meant to be on the main four characters, should I lessen their roles, or do you feel they are fine the way they are? There's currently only three characters based off of WDA members. Those being Marie (Lesbihonest), Fila (akaFila), and Gray (Mau5). How would you like to see these characters handled, as they were not the original planned characters?
since youre going back and editting, anyway, maybe you should treat them as originally planned characters, giving them more depth and more interesting personalities to suit the people they are based on better. if thats too much, theres absolutely nothing wrong with keeping them as is, i just think having people traveling with the main cast on and off adds more incentive to read the story, and makes it more exciting.

J.J.Knight wrote:
Thirdly, there's the villain. J is originally my very first character, Krobra; a collector turned evil after obsessing over super rare Pokemon, mainly Arceus. I changed the name of Krobra to J.J. Knight, or Joshua, in B/W when Unova came out. For the Generation X fanfic, I decided to give him the alias J, as I felt myself as the villain would be a bit cliche. I would like to hear the reader's opinion on the antagonist. Should I revert him back to Krobra, the original, or should I change his name back to J.J. Knight, the modified version? Should he go under the alias J, or should he come out and state who he is? I currently have plans for the character, and do not intend to write him out.

i think the villain has been doing fine so far, and theres not much reason to change him. why fix what isnt broke?

J.J.Knight wrote:
I would also like to discuss certain mechanics and items that I would like to implement into the story. With the reveal of Mega Evolutions, would you like me to introduce Mega Evolution early, or leave it behind for a later time? Earlier today, we had the reveal of the Mega Evolutions for the Kanto Starters. With those confirmed, Mega Evolutions for the main character's Starters achieving Mega Evolution is now possible. Would you like to see them achieving these new game mechanics as early as Kanto, or keep it strictly to Kalos when they reach it?
i think you should go ahead and use the mega evolutions, would be pretty freaking cool >.> would also make the pokemon the main caste has even more special.

J.J.Knight wrote:

Lastly, with the new modified achievements for the Writer, I have been debating on whether to go back and edit the current story, filling in chapters with more development and giving the characters more depth. With the character limit at 7,000 characters, this should be possible with simple editing.

yes, that, do that.
Back to top Go down

The Creative Direction of Generation X: Opinions Needed
Page 1 of 1