World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Megaupload is down.

Go down 
+6
Bakura Normal
Fish
xX-Saberboy
Al-Bhed
Nour Force
Kimo Force
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kimo Force

Achievement Points : 9
Waifu : Galko-chan

Megaupload is down. Empty
PostSubject: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Nypost.com wrote:
WASHINGTON -- The FBI on Thursday shut down popular file-sharing website Megaupload.com and charged the site's founders and five others with running "an international organized criminal enterprise" responsible for "massive online piracy."

Megaupload Limited and sister company Vestor Limited generated "more than $175 million in criminal proceeds" and caused "more than half a billion dollars in harm to copyright owners" through the piracy of "numerous types of copyrighted works," the US Justice Department and FBI said in a joint statement.

Seven people have been charged with online piracy crimes in an indictment, dated Jan. 5 and unsealed in northern Virginia. Four of those suspects are already in custody, authorities said.

Among those charged are site founders Kim Dotcom and Kim Tim Jim Vestor and Chief Marketing Officer Finn Batato.

Megaupload CEO Swizz Beatz, a rapper and producer and husband to pop star Alicia Keys, was not listed among those charged.

Dotcom, Batato and two others were arrested Thursday in Auckland, New Zealand, by New Zealand authorities carrying out warrants on behalf of the US. Three suspects remain at large, the Justice Department said.

Megaupload.com is a content hosting site that allows users to upload content for others to then download.

But according to the indictment, "for more than five years the conspiracy has operated websites that unlawfully reproduce and distribute infringing copies of copyrighted works, including movies - often before their theatrical release - music, television programs, electronic books, and business and entertainment software on a massive scale."

As of Thursday afternoon, Megaupload.com had been shutdown.

The indictment charges the suspects with racketeering conspiracy, conspiring to commit copyright infringement, conspiring to commit money laundering and two counts of criminal copyright infringement.

If convicted, each individual faces up to 55 years in prison, the Justice Department said.

Investigators said there was no connection between arrests in their two-year investigation and the political firestorm that erupted this week over a pending vote on the Stop Online Piracy Act, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The charges came a day after Washington lawmakers were inundated with complaints about legislation designed to crack down on the online sharing of pirated copies of music, movies and other material.

Here's the resource:
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/fbi_shuts_down_megaupload_com_charges_tawn5IRmGBzKX7TS4Fh32L

This is all before SOPA by the way, but it is an example of what it will do to other websites that are much less guilty. I can't say that Megaupload isn't guilty of those charges, because it actually did do all that, yet it provided us with so much. Still, a sentence for 55 years of prison is just a little over-the-top, don't you agree? Also, it is rumored that Anonymous is out there somewhere to exact revenge upon the arrest of the people responsible for hosting Megaupload. Now as much as they have been fighting with us against the new copyright threats to come, remember that they are still as dangerous to us as they are to them, if anyone has ever read up about their history that is, will know. Fight congress, yes, but don't side with or claim that Anonymous are "on our side".
Back to top Go down
Nour Force
Magical Girl
Magical Girl
Nour Force

Achievement Points : 114
Waifu : 02

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Is the FBI SOPA in disguise? :P
Back to top Go down
https://worldduelingacademy.forumotion.com/
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 7:30 pm

Kimo Force wrote:
Now as much as they have been fighting with us against the new copyright threats to come, remember that they are still as dangerous to us as they are to them
How exactly?

Btw, lately megaupload would be used less and less for piracy for the simple reason that they had gotten stricter in taking down content that violated copyrights, obviously it was user responsibility as they would take down copyrighted content upon being notified of it and obviously they are held liable for something they were actually working to prevent from happening.

Also note that not only are they facing 55 years in prison for piracy, which means a minor financial crime, but they were also arrested by U.S. law in New Zealand. Not in the United States. Once again for a minor financial crime, and again, yes piracy is a minor one, you are neither directly taking the money from the victim nor is it fraud and "more than half a billion dollars in harm to copyright owners" is bullshit since you can't count how much they would have gotten if it was not for Megaupload, but just without megaupload they certainly would have not gotten that much more. So for a minor financial crime the U.S. government apparently has authority to arrest people outside of their country. Not for a commonly accepted crime, but for a crime they define and for their own financial interests.

And as kimo noted, apparently minor losses in their copyright earnings (yes, minor, if they were major they would be shut down) are worth 55 years of a person's freedom. "Invaluable" my ass, this is capitalism.
Back to top Go down
xX-Saberboy
WDA Member
WDA Member
xX-Saberboy

Achievement Points : 0

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 11:17 pm

Megaupload is down. 3994509647 f*ck...my fav file sharing site is gone :=happy
Back to top Go down
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 1:16 am

Guys, I saw this misconception a couple of times already that was saying FBI took it down, not SOPA.
SOPA is a law, FBI enforces laws
Even if it was for SOPA, the action could still be taken by the FBI to enforce SOPA, the FBI works by the laws, they don't invent their own, and SOPA is a law, it's not something that enforces laws.
Back to top Go down
Fish
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Fish

Waifu : Meheheh

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 5:58 am

99nour wrote:

Megaupload is down. 1050617-third_party_facepalm_super
Back to top Go down
Bakura Normal
Fangless Vampire
 Fangless Vampire
Bakura Normal

Achievement Points : 12
Waifu : Bakura normal

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 6:04 am

99nour wrote:

Megaupload is down. 672580-facepalm_super
Back to top Go down
Nour Force
Magical Girl
Magical Girl
Nour Force

Achievement Points : 114
Waifu : 02

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 6:32 am

I PUT A " :P " THERE FOR A REASON, GET OVER IT!
Back to top Go down
https://worldduelingacademy.forumotion.com/
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 6:36 am

99nour wrote:
I PUT A " :P " THERE FOR A REASON, GET OVER IT!
yes, that's the issue, the fact they thought you were serious, not that you proposed the idea a law can be disguised into an agency
Back to top Go down
Katarina
Archfiend Empress
 Archfiend Empress
Katarina

Achievement Points : 58
Waifu : Prinzessin Kitty

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 9:24 am

hm so this is why 2012 is the end of the world huh, no more internet *cuts wrists*
Back to top Go down
wynchester
WDA Member
WDA Member
wynchester

Waifu : Wynchester

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 12:06 pm

Ehh... I hardly used it. Good buy Mega Upload. Glad to have seen you twice in your life before you died...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/michaelwynwyn
Bakura Normal
Fangless Vampire
 Fangless Vampire
Bakura Normal

Achievement Points : 12
Waifu : Bakura normal

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 12:25 pm

Btw

A min of silence for mega upload

0 min if you had a premium account =]
Back to top Go down
Fish
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Fish

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:13 pm

^

I support this message.

But yeah. I wonder if the premium users got their money back or something.
Back to top Go down
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kimo Force

Achievement Points : 9
Waifu : Galko-chan

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:19 pm

Fish wrote:
But yeah. I wonder if the premium users got their money back or something.
More like they're being tracked down at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Shizuo Heiwajima
WDA Member
WDA Member
Shizuo Heiwajima

Achievement Points : 3
Waifu : Shizuo Heiwajima

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Nope, I have not received any sort of refund from Megaupload for my premium, but now I do fear being tracked for my downloads now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/thepokemonkingdom
Fish
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Fish

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 11:44 pm

I doubt they will get so far with that unless you've been doing some hardcore copyright breaking.

Multi-million dollar company, that. They're gonna have a couple years' worth of tracking to do.
Back to top Go down
judge
WDA Member
WDA Member
judge

Achievement Points : 14
Waifu : Judge

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 3:52 pm

this is a shame, i dont really know the us or new zeland law, but about internationlal law the general rule is that you can only judge a person from another conuntry if they comited a crime agaisnt the intersets of your caountry, it they are origanally your nationals or the crime is comited against your people and if the crime comited is also part of the law sistem in the one the person was living, in this case you could put it on the first category, but the other rules about extradition states that you cant give someone a sentence bigger that the they can get in the country they live (i seriously doubt new zeland gives 55 years of prision for that kind of things) so i find it very fishy but well, there is really nothing to do now, bye megaupload
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Megaupload is down.   Megaupload is down. Empty

Back to top Go down

Megaupload is down.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
World Dueling Academy :: Off-Topic :: General Discussion-
Jump to: