World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)

Go down 
+4
Hercules
psychoturtle
Fish
DigiDigi
8 posters
AuthorMessage
DigiDigi
WDA Staff
WDA  Staff
DigiDigi

Achievement Points : 60
Waifu : DigiDigi, Digi(^w^)

The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) Empty
PostSubject: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 2:46 pm

This is directed to those who have failed in the past, seek out my help, or in general are curious to building a proper duel academy. There are a few things that are required before you read this is not only full attention/dedication to actually reading this, but to also try to understand the messages that are being presented in this guide. This is literally a recipe of salvation on a silver platter.

First and foremost, let’s introduce the common mistakes academies these days tend to make. There is a common understanding that a “duel academy” is supposed to have everything: dorms, testing, GX theme in general. The whole deal is right there and obvious. Let’s do just that: create 3 dorms, hire some testers, set up some banners for each respective section, and then the project is complete. In a general sense, this is a traditional duel academy.

Bringing up the matter, the testing system is commonly composed of a few matches followed by a result based on a basic mathematical system that represents a handful of categories; usually related to dueling. There are a few downsides to the testing system, one of the main issues concerning the testers themselves. I will go over that later. For now, let’s quickly skim over the basic downside to a testing system. First of all, the basic math system is based off of 5 categories (based on a common set up: ) rulings, deck size, card usage/”skill”, wins, and basic knowledge. These 5 categories are a reoccurring trend that academies, under a traditional system, tend to use as a foundation for a testing system. In a nutshell, the main, fundamental issue the traditional testing system holds is often the priorities the categories are held in. Most of the time, the construction of, what should be basic arithmetic, is often flawed by said priorities (often tainted by a general misunderstanding of mainstream dueling.) Aside from arithmetic, the other fault test systems hold is the fact that these five common categories are often an inaccurate representation of a player’s overall performance. These are the fundamental issues with an mathematical test system.

On the same note, the testers themselves are often boosted with self-esteem due to the over-emphasis of the “promotion” that is given to them initially. This creates an egotistical group of individuals who won’t take “no” for an answer and are fundamentally conservative when it comes to being an indie duelist (i.e. a “meta-hater.”) What they say goes and they are the lords of the dueling world. When the times come when the testers begin to show signs of self-delusion and often indulge in their own grandeur, one ought to be concerned for this. This behavior that occurs is not common among a proper human. A note for those academies struggling to “revive yourselves” or “start up,” then take heed of this observation and do not be naïve. To refer to the critique on point-scored testing systems, the utmost fundamental fault to any sort of testing system that can be innovated is the fact that an applicant is to the respective judgment of their tester. Yes, that’s right. The tester has the applicant’s fate in their hands based on their own opinions. No standard or regulation will shape an outcome that is one-hundred percent accurate, or even seventy-five percent accurate due to the end result of a subjective matter. Lastly, the staff of the academy ought to recognize that people have lives. Alongside this, one cannot expect any single tester to always remain online twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week to produce test results for the ever-so-demanding new members of the forum. There is always a need for a proud, ignorant individual.

Moving onto a different aspect of a duel academy, which are the dorms. The dorms are a clear representation of the original plot device used in the anime with the original Slifer Red (lower class,) Ra Yellow (middle class,) and Obelisk Blue (upper class.) In an online duel academy, once a member has been tested and has been shown their results, they are assigned to their respective dorms based on their performance. To throw a scent of originality to the picture, overtime certain academies have attempted to be innovative with their dorm system and have created different names to substitute the Egyptian God Cards. Few have succeeded and have the honor of telling the tale. This is normally due to the age of the academy in relation to the interest level of the dorm system. Regardless of a pyramid-like dorm system versus a free-pick dorm system (after testing, member is allowed to chose between 3 dorms,) there is a time where the memberbase will begin to show signs of boredom of the traditional system altogether. This usually calls for some effort on the staff’s part to whip up an innovative system to replace the traditional system. It is imperative to acknowledge this inevitability.

The last two things I ought to mention are a few generalizations alongside a solution. When the time comes when innovation becomes a priority, keep in mind the system must be consistent. There must always be points of interest available alongside overall objectives to give the members motivation to accomplish something. Regardless of the attempts, eventually the system will have to be replaced. This remains true for any attempt a forum may try due to the limitations of the forum functions available. This article is a guide for recognizing what not to do for an infrastructure for a dueling academy. If anyone of interest is able to recognize what has failed and why it has failed, the process to success relies on innovation, determination, and resources. Once all of these are present, success is open for grabs. Do not forget that construction takes time and patience. If anyone where to start up a business even, advertisement is needed to gain the proper traffic. That is off topic and I digress to make my point. With time and patience, your results shall be plentiful and joyful. Thank you for reading.
Back to top Go down
Fish
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Fish

Achievement Points : 0
Waifu : Meheheh

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Yes, Durzo. We know you're here.

We're looking at you, here.
Back to top Go down
psychoturtle
WDA Member
WDA Member
psychoturtle

Waifu : IamPsychoturtle

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 10:37 pm

Idiot's guide alright, anyone who tries to make a new duel academy, is an idiot.
Back to top Go down
Hercules
WDA Member
WDA Member
Hercules

Waifu : awsome35

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 2:13 am

im ALWAYS bored here i only come to WDA to talk to league of legends players =/
Back to top Go down
Fish
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Fish

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 3:52 am

O.o Well why the hell don't you just go use the LoL Forums and Chat then?
Back to top Go down
Alibaba
Red-Eyed Warrior
Red-Eyed Warrior
Alibaba

Achievement Points : 47
Waifu : kys

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 4:49 am

awsome35 wrote:
u blame the academy for being bored when u do not even try to duel or participate in anything concerning duels or even posting games
seems legit
Back to top Go down
L.Lawliet
Envoy Soldier
Envoy Soldier
L.Lawliet

Achievement Points : 32
Waifu : L.Lawliet

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 6:06 am

Academies are dying at the moment.
With the fall of ADA, from the big 4, I think WDA and DA are the last remaining good academies. I think DGA is in the same boat as ADA.
Back to top Go down
D JR
Key Mace
 Key Mace
D JR

Achievement Points : 22
Waifu : D-JR

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 7:37 am

Yep, Yu-Gi-Oh! Is going to have to find something more classy to bring to the tables.
GX started the whole popularity to the academy thing. Now its old and were 2 different anime above it.
Back to top Go down
onlyaaron17
WDA Member
WDA Member
onlyaaron17

Waifu : onlyaaron17

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 8:21 am

darkdiviner597 wrote:
awsome35 wrote:
u blame the academy for being bored when u do not even try to duel or participate in anything concerning duels or even posting games
seems legit

Maybe because he was bored the 1st time he did it? All 3 of you guys are saying things, without thinking it through. This is ridiculous. But anyway there is a thing called excessive criticism, but there is a thing called insults, and the way digi titled this guide is horrible. One wil not listen to someone who has not mastered excessive criticism, or know how to criticize someone. Like just look at the guide. She's making it seem like all of this is impossible to do. All it takes is a person to think something through the correct way. All in all, one thing Digi says is very accurate. The regular testing into the dorm and having the 3 Egyptian God Cards, or even any other variant is old and out of style. Its barely an incentive to keep an academy active, except for a few academies, specifically DA. To be honest, I think everyone is forgetting that WDA at one point also was in this situation, where they had to eliminate said system, failed academies were in, and was falling apart somewhat.
Back to top Go down
DigiDigi
WDA Staff
WDA  Staff
DigiDigi

Achievement Points : 60
Waifu : DigiDigi, Digi(^w^)

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 8:56 am

onlyaaron17 wrote:
Spoiler:

Maybe because he was bored the 1st time he did it? All 3 of you guys are saying things, without thinking it through. This is ridiculous. But anyway there is a thing called excessive criticism, but there is a thing called insults, and the way digi titled this guide is horrible. One wil not listen to someone who has not mastered excessive criticism, or know how to criticize someone. Like just look at the guide. She's making it seem like all of this is impossible to do. All it takes is a person to think something through the correct way. All in all, one thing Digi says is very accurate. The regular testing into the dorm and having the 3 Egyptian God Cards, or even any other variant is old and out of style. Its barely an incentive to keep an academy active, except for a few academies, specifically DA. To be honest, I think everyone is forgetting that WDA at one point also was in this situation, where they had to eliminate said system, failed academies were in, and was falling apart somewhat.

The title is more of a reference to the popular guidebooks For Dummies
Spoiler:
If you've ever read one of these guides, you would know that an idiot wouldn't be able to read the guide through and through. Do not create drama when it is not needed (in other words, learn to be a bit more prudent.) I made this for you and you know why it's there. I decided to make a reference for the sake of creativity. If I wanted to insult you I would be sure to let you know very clearly and not in a subtle message.

Last edited by DigiDigi on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fish
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Fish

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 9:22 am

P.S. You suck
Back to top Go down
onlyaaron17
WDA Member
WDA Member
onlyaaron17

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 9:33 am

DigiDigi wrote:
Spoiler:

The title is more of a reference to the popular guidebooks For Dummies
Spoiler:
If you've ever read one of these guides, you would know that an idiot wouldn't be able to read the guide through and through. Do not create drama when it is not needed (in other words, learn to be a bit more prudent.) I made this for you and you know why it's there. I decided to make a reference for the sake of creativity. If I wanted to insult you I would be sure to let you know very clearly and not in a subtle message.

Indeed you are correct that people are more drawn to "dummy guides", because u simply put the word "dummy". The curious mind draws them into the guide, vs just a guide to building your own academy.
Back to top Go down
L.Lawliet
Envoy Soldier
Envoy Soldier
L.Lawliet

Achievement Points : 32
Waifu : L.Lawliet

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 10:49 am

I'd like to say that I came to this thread only cause Digi made it, not cause of it's name or that it's a guide to do something.
Back to top Go down
Fish
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Fish

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 11:14 am

onlyaaron17 wrote:
Spoiler:

Indeed you are correct that people are more drawn to "dummy guides", because u simply put the word "dummy". The curious mind draws them into the guide, vs just a guide to building your own academy.

As you have, so it seems, lost the debate, I highly recommend you simply concede defeat and saunter out of the post or carry on with some other business, or actually make a good argument.

Stubbornly attempting to hold some sort of dominance by pointlessly arguing out some arbitrary off-topic debating points will simply make yourself look stupid.
Back to top Go down
onlyaaron17
WDA Member
WDA Member
onlyaaron17

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 11:27 am

Fish wrote:
onlyaaron17 wrote:
Spoiler:

As you have, so it seems, lost the debate, I highly recommend you simply concede defeat and saunter out of the post or carry on with some other business, or actually make a good argument.

Stubbornly attempting to hold some sort of dominance by pointlessly arguing out some arbitrary off-topic debating points will simply make yourself look stupid.

What are you talking about? I wasn't really debating over anything. I simply stated a reason why awsome may be bored, i wasnt making an argument against the post. I dindnt even get to change my wording before it got misunderstood.
Back to top Go down
psychoturtle
WDA Member
WDA Member
psychoturtle

Waifu : IamPsychoturtle

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 3:30 pm

darkdiviner597 wrote:
awsome35 wrote:
seems legit

Nice one, people here don't duel at all, except at events, even then some people just go inactive ... this is just one big gfxing pony loving academy ._.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)   The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1) Empty

Back to top Go down

The Idiot's Guide to Building Your Own Duel Academy (Part 1)
Page 1 of 1