World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Time Attack Q&A

Go down 
+3
Kimo Force
Alibaba
DigiDigi
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DigiDigi
WDA Staff
WDA  Staff
DigiDigi

Achievement Points : 60
Waifu : DigiDigi, Digi(^w^)

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 7:28 pm

http://www.worldduelingacademy.com/t5212-time-attack-rulebook#46642

Any questions, summaries, and/or suggestions are encouraged.
Back to top Go down
Alibaba
Red-Eyed Warrior
Red-Eyed Warrior
Alibaba

Achievement Points : 47
Waifu : kys

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 7:29 pm

can u sum it up for me
Back to top Go down
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kimo Force

Achievement Points : 9
Waifu : Galko-chan

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 7:32 pm

Why is it called Timed Attack? Because from what I learned from the rulebook, it's a fight till the death event. I saw your explanation on the chat, but I'm not sure how timing it will fit in.
Back to top Go down
DigiDigi
WDA Staff
WDA  Staff
DigiDigi

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 7:53 pm

Generic Emo Title 04 wrote:
can u sum it up for me

Spoiler:

Okay, so.... it has all of the default league rules. Same ol', same ol'. Now for Time Attack, you will have a timer that you will use every duel. It will start out with a certain amount of minutes for you to use (lets use 10 as the example.) You start off with 10 minutes. You defeat one opponent, you are left with 9 minutes to use in your next duel. You, yourself since you won, must use 9 minutes. This will continue on until you reach 1 minute.

As for the sudden death stuff, that is specifically included for the 1 minute (Last Minute) duelists. So its simply this:

Step 1: after time runs out, Life Points are observed. If opponent #1 has more, he wins; vice versa.

Step 2: If step 1 fails, sudden death happens. If time ran out during the middle of, say, contestant #1's turn (like during the battle phase or w.e.), then the countdown of 3 turns will begin during his opponent's draw phase.

Step 3: if the life points are still tied, then the effect of Last Turn applies here (the edit I made is specified.)

Thats about it for now.

Kimo Force wrote:
Why is it called Timed Attack? Because from what I learned from the rulebook, it's a fight till the death event. I saw your explanation on the chat, but I'm not sure how timing it will fit in.

I found it witty. The special rules revolve around time. I like time. Don't you?
Back to top Go down
Alibaba
Red-Eyed Warrior
Red-Eyed Warrior
Alibaba

Achievement Points : 47
Waifu : kys

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 8:18 pm

fine here in the "right" place

well i know you put effort into making this
but i have an idea that could be simpler and still good overall

how about instead of the winner losing a minute the loser loses a minute
and when the you're out of minutes you're out of the league
the time in a limited to the time the player with the least minutes has
if time runs out in a duel same rules are applied

just a suggestion
Back to top Go down
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kimo Force

Achievement Points : 9
Waifu : Galko-chan

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 8:23 pm

just a suggestion
Because it would pretty much be not that different from the usual duel kingdom events. This event is supposed to make things harder and harder for the victor, not keep the difficulty level unchanged.
Back to top Go down
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 11:13 pm

Kimo Force wrote:

just a suggestion
Because it would pretty much be not that different from the usual duel kingdom events. This event is supposed to make things harder and harder for the victor, not keep the difficulty level unchanged.
It doesnt really make it harder for the winner though. On the contrary, since he is keeping track of his own timer, he can just use a strategy that makes him simply have more life points than his opponent when the timer hits. If anything I'd say it makes things easier if you are not paying attention to your opponent's timer (get in a duel with an opponent that has 20 secs left without you knowing will get you screwed over), or if both players are aware, just gimmicky.

Btw, digi, I didn't find the answer to that anywhere. Let's say your timer runs out, you were using a life gain stall deck because you were prepared for that and were being a ****, so you win. What happens after? Does your timer reset?

Oh, and side des koala kids. You never know where the duel 3 of a long drawn match will take you.
Back to top Go down
DigiDigi
WDA Staff
WDA  Staff
DigiDigi

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptySun Nov 25, 2012 1:19 pm

Al-Bhed wrote:

It doesnt really make it harder for the winner though. On the contrary, since he is keeping track of his own timer, he can just use a strategy that makes him simply have more life points than his opponent when the timer hits. If anything I'd say it makes things easier if you are not paying attention to your opponent's timer (get in a duel with an opponent that has 20 secs left without you knowing will get you screwed over), or if both players are aware, just gimmicky.

Btw, digi, I didn't find the answer to that anywhere. Let's say your timer runs out, you were using a life gain stall deck because you were prepared for that and were being a ****, so you win. What happens after? Does your timer reset?

Oh, and side des koala kids. You never know where the duel 3 of a long drawn match will take you.

I originally intended for the duel to automatically cease when the timer goes out. Both players stop what they're doing and then follow the 3 step process. As for the consideration of stall and the likelihood of drawing anti-stall cards in a deck, I am going to make the default time given very flexible (60+ minutes) and then begin to decrease in a proportional manner. I'm going to make 5 minutes the lowest point. I realize how long a duel can be with the more experienced players.

After re-thinking the structure of the league over some coffee earlier today, I have decided to make some of the rules a bit more flexible and more lenient. If the case is that the overall function of the timer should be counted on play time vs overall time of the match, then I will consider allowing the timer to only count for actual play time to prevent d*** moves (like being afk.) If it is such a huge concern to battle against stall or burn decks, then a ban can be made. I know that there are plenty of ways to change your strategy to adjust if you are facing a stall/burn deck. That's why I specify the rule "you can change your side deck during the league." It points out this strategy that you can use for pretty much every single one of my leagues. I encourage it for others to practice building a smart side deck to make good habits.
Back to top Go down
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 4:33 pm

Digi, I think you missed the life long question again, somehow. I didn't care about what deck the opponent used, actually I consider it to be a legitimate strategy. I cared about this basic thing:
My own timer runs out.
I win that match by having more life points.
What happens?
Does my timer reset and I can play other games with a fresh timer now?
Am I out of the league because I don't have time?
Something else entirely different and yet so magical?
Back to top Go down
DigiDigi
WDA Staff
WDA  Staff
DigiDigi

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 11:57 pm

If you win, you are given a smaller amount of default time. For example, say you start out with an hour and a half as your initial time. You then defeat your first opponent. You will be. assigned a new timer. The significance of this timer is that it now has an hour and 15 minutes-- less time. Like I said, the amount of time that will be decreased will be proportional. This will be based off of how many contestants there are.
Back to top Go down
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 12:59 am

Oh, by the description I thought it was like this.
You get X time, as your default time
C the static amount that is deducted upon victory
if during a duel you spend Y time, where Y < X - C
once you win, the static C amount is deducted, meaning that you only have Xi= X-(Y+C) to finish your next duel, in which duel, if your timer runs out, you follow end of round precedures.

You are saying the C is deducted from your total default timer, producing a new default every time where X(i+1)=X(i)-C

So if I finish my duel in Y time, so long as my timer did not run out, the value of Y is irrelevant and is not used in anything else, right? The time I will have for my new duel will be reset into the new default { X(next)=X(current) - C } regardless of the time spent in the previous match?

In that case, is there a chance the default timer will end up being reduced to 0 at some point if I play a lot and win a lot? If that is the case, and that occurs because I played a lot of ygo, am I disqualified?
Back to top Go down
Scar
WDA Member
WDA Member
Scar

Achievement Points : 7

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 1:30 am

Maybe it should be whoever gets the most wins at the end of all the participants time
Back to top Go down
DigiDigi
WDA Staff
WDA  Staff
DigiDigi

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 2:57 am

@Al: I have decided to write this down since I am bored out of my mind sitting at school for 3 hours. I hope this will clarify what I am presenting.

X= default time
C= static deduction
Y= irrelevant (you are correct)
Xi= new time
Z= # of contestants

1) 5z = x

2) (x/5) ≈ c

3) (x-c) = xi

This is the strict process I will be following to calculate the timers. Now I continue to debate with myself on Xi= zero. I am convinced to add a rule that nulls the deduction to make a static time "S". Now I am trying to figure out how to make it fair and how to make it work by considering how long it averagely takes a typical match to cycle thru 3 turns. I want to create pressure on the person who is more victorious in the league to present a sufficient challenge.

I want to say that "S" would equal around 8-10 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Nour Force
Magical Girl
Magical Girl
Nour Force

Achievement Points : 114
Waifu : 02

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 6:27 am

Al-Bhed wrote:
Oh, by the description I thought it was like this.
You get X time, as your default time
C the static amount that is deducted upon victory
if during a duel you spend Y time, where Y < X - C
once you win, the static C amount is deducted, meaning that you only have Xi= X-(Y+C) to finish your next duel, in which duel, if your timer runs out, you follow end of round precedures.

You are saying the C is deducted from your total default timer, producing a new default every time where X(i+1)=X(i)-C

So if I finish my duel in Y time, so long as my timer did not run out, the value of Y is irrelevant and is not used in anything else, right? The time I will have for my new duel will be reset into the new default { X(next)=X(current) - C } regardless of the time spent in the previous match?

In that case, is there a chance the default timer will end up being reduced to 0 at some point if I play a lot and win a lot? If that is the case, and that occurs because I played a lot of ygo, am I disqualified?
DigiDigi wrote:
@Al: I have decided to write this down since I am bored out of my mind sitting at school for 3 hours. I hope this will clarify what I am presenting.

X= default time
C= static deduction
Y= irrelevant (you are correct)
Xi= new time
Z= # of contestants

1) 5z = x

2) (x/5) ≈ c

3) (x-c) = xi

This is the strict process I will be following to calculate the timers. Now I continue to debate with myself on Xi= zero. I am convinced to add a rule that nulls the deduction to make a static time "S". Now I am trying to figure out how to make it fair and how to make it work by considering how long it averagely takes a typical match to cycle thru 3 turns. I want to create pressure on the person who is more victorious in the league to present a sufficient challenge.

I want to say that "S" would equal around 8-10 minutes.

Is it really a good idea to explain things with numbers? I mean, in World Dueling Academy?
Back to top Go down
https://worldduelingacademy.forumotion.com/
DigiDigi
WDA Staff
WDA  Staff
DigiDigi

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 9:08 am

Because, Nour, I don't have to dumb down myself to talk to Al. It helps to explain math by simply showing math. It actually takes more effort to explain a math problem in English rather than giving a visual.
Back to top Go down
EnigmaMemory
WDA Member
WDA Member
EnigmaMemory

Achievement Points : 0

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 6:09 am

Math problems are messy to explain in English. :/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Time Attack Q&A Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time Attack Q&A   Time Attack Q&A Empty

Back to top Go down

Time Attack Q&A
Page 1 of 1