World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Forum Name

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

Forum Name Empty
PostSubject: Forum Name   Forum Name EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 1:07 am

22 Dec 14, 01:40 PM
[×] [o] Alibaba: rant about the site's name...?

22 Dec 14, 01:41 PM
[×] [o] Al-Bhed: people often complain about "omg, why are we wda, it doesnt make any sense garglegargle" and I thought about it so I'll rant

Yes, we are not about ygo anymore, we are about whatever random shit nour, danna or I come up with occasionally, because let's face it, we are everything that is wrong with this forum, especially nour.
And that's why no name can actually be descriptive about it, it's less about our theme and more about the people in here, since instead of passing by we have occupied a corner each and filled it with posters and whatever other crap might indicate that we have marked our territory.
And this isn't even about motivational speech stuff, think about it, nour comes in, brings in a random crappy flash game, everyone plays said flash game. Some random webnovel came out, I brought it in, then 3 people spam the chat about it. JY comes in, everything goes to hell, the chat becomes a disjointed mass of JY.

You cannot find words that can accuratelly describe that, not unless you put our own names up there, because it completelly depends on any random member's mood.

Does that mean naming is impossible then?

Not really, not everything has to be descriptive. You don't really come across a Café named "Place where coffe and certain other beverages are served by a girl that's quite hot by this town's standards". It's named "Alter Ego" or "Onore" or some other weird vague meaningless stuff.
And that's the answer here, vague meaningless stuff.

In accordance to that I thought of a name.
And after thinking of it I realized. It's pointless.

Think about it. We change our name. Ok. But what about our url? Do we change that? Do we make this place unreachable for people who did not have the precognitive powers to realize we were going to change our name to some other weird shit?
Of course not, if we alienate members that want to return, we lose a lot more than we gain, it defeats the point.
There are a couple of solutions to that.

A) Get both urls and have the worldduelingacademy.com url to redirect to the new one.
Rejected. The main problem with that strategy is that it requires the purchasing of two urls. Two. That is one more url than one. No.

B) Keep the current url but change the name on the banner. Some other sites do that, have something unrelated in their url and their name.
There are two problems with that.
1. it's meaningless, it's not like our name is a brand where it shows, it's just our banner and our url, if there is a 50/50 conflict between them, we didn't accomplish anything. We are just confusing people when trying for our url.
2. People will be complaining about url and banner being different, just like they are now complaining about wda not meaning anything, even though the only option is to get a name that doesn't actually mean anything. We returned to square one by expending effort in order to do nothing. No. That's stupid.

So WDA stays, being recognized by our members is more important than people being peeved by the name. Besides, if you are going to complain about the name, complain about the letters in the banner. Ok, you can claim that the first letter is capitalized and you can make an arguement about most other letters being lowercase, despite being the same size. But what about the "L"s? Those are clearly uppercase. But no, the issue is dueling. Fine, I'll duel you m8. Gun and gun, you and me, below the big clock at noon, let's go.
Back to top Go down
Sukkito
WDA Member
WDA Member
Sukkito

Achievement Points : 0
Waifu : Sukkito

Forum Name Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Name   Forum Name EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 1:47 am

B) People wont even notice it, as WDA is WDA.chatbox
Back to top Go down
danna45
WDA Member
WDA Member
danna45

Achievement Points : 14
Waifu : arcade bumstead

Forum Name Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Name   Forum Name EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 1:52 am

Yes but, we generally don't give away the chatbox link to people until they've familiarized with the place.

And well, guess we're WDA through and through. Although Alter Ego's a pretty cool name, but k.
Back to top Go down
Alibaba
Red-Eyed Warrior
Red-Eyed Warrior
Alibaba

Achievement Points : 47
Waifu : kys

Forum Name Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Name   Forum Name EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 3:24 am

ok
Back to top Go down
Nour Force
Magical Girl
Magical Girl
Nour Force

Achievement Points : 114
Waifu : 02

Forum Name Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Name   Forum Name EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 5:55 am

Al-Bhed wrote:
Yes, we are not about ygo anymore, we are about whatever random shit nour, danna or I come up with occasionally, because let's face it, we are everything that is wrong with this forum, especially nour.
And that's why no name can actually be descriptive about it, it's less about our theme and more about the people in here, since instead of passing by we have occupied a corner each and filled it with posters and whatever other crap might indicate that we have marked our territory.
And this isn't even about motivational speech stuff, think about it, nour comes in, brings in a random crappy flash game, everyone plays said flash game. Some random webnovel came out, I brought it in, then 3 people spam the chat about it. JY comes in, everything goes to hell, the chat becomes a disjointed mass of JY.
"The Bandwagon"
There we go, that's a good enough forum name for our low standards.
Back to top Go down
https://worldduelingacademy.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

Forum Name Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Name   Forum Name Empty

Back to top Go down

Forum Name
Page 1 of 1