World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dragon Rider Version 3.1

Go down 
AuthorMessage
J.J. Knight
Envoy Soldier
Envoy Soldier
J.J. Knight

Achievement Points : 32
Waifu : no laifu

Dragon Rider Version 3.1 Empty
PostSubject: Dragon Rider Version 3.1   Dragon Rider Version 3.1 EmptyWed Aug 16, 2017 7:05 pm

So after I posted 3.0, I almost immediately began to revamp the entire class again. Instead of deleting the thread, I left it open accidentally as I reworked on it and totally forgot that I left it up when I went to bed. Ali brought up a lot of good points and actually gave me feedback like I wanted. That's why Ali is my favorite (sorry Nour).

As a reminder to the players, Vanir is a playtest character. Vanir is not a permanent player in the party. In the next session, he will not be in the party while the players take on the Echo Wave Cave. When I am satisfied with the class overall, Vanir will no longer be a mainstay, but rather a recurring character. The main reason why I am using him in the party is to test out the main enemy later on in the story because the books are easily accessible to the players. I had to alter the book's story slightly ahead of time so you guys aren't tempted to look up the book if you guys are in a jam and "cheat". Not saying you would (Nour), but it was a precaution I took since we started. These edits are more prominent in the 2nd book, but some have already changed in the one we're currently in (thanks to RD, Ali, and Poofy. The Goblin treaty was a nice touch).

The biggest, and most obvious, alteration is stronger enemies. Since we are going to use all three books before the custom game, I figured you guys would want to be using the same characters rather than starting all over from lv. 1 (Unless you die later on, which surprisingly, no one has yet (except RD)). But JJ, why Dragon Riders? Well honestly, it makes sense. The Cult of the Dragon is heavy in dragon uses, and, well, I started reading Eragon again around the time you guys wanted me to start DMing and was inspired to bring the Dragon Rider into D&D. It's something I'm honestly surprised they haven't done in some form in D&D yet, but I digress.

One of the points Ali brought up is that this class is extremely overpowered. And well, he's right. I intentionally made this class with the intent that the enemy actually be challenging and frightening. Simply beefing up the villains in the books doesn't change much in actual story. When the characters reach the parts where they have to interact with an evil Dragon Rider, I want you to know instinctively that you're in for a rough fight.

I don't think that many of you read the Inheritance Cycle, but I took that series as the main inspiration for the class. The main character, Eragon, starts off as a sort of weak character, but that's because he is untrained. After a few books, he's incredibly overpowered to the normal human. Take an expertly trained human from that series and compare them to a Dragon Rider in that same universe, Dragon Riders are much stronger. Not just because of dragons, the riders themselves benefit from the dragon's magic and their physiology are altered. At least, it was in Eragon, the latest Dragon Rider book that I've read.  Many of the players know that I've been removing and adding spellcasting to the class in several revisions, and that's because of the Dragon Riders in that universe. Currently, magic in the Dragon Rider Class isn't a thing. That can be for later on. Anyway, I'm rambling. Just wanted you to know that I'm doing this for a reason. Now, to the class itself.

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d12 per Dragon Rider level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 1d12 + Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d12 (or 5) + Constitution modifier per Dragon Rider level after 1st

NOTES: I have read your opinions on the hit dice. I have taken them into consideration. The point that Ali brought up is a very good argument. However, it is that reason why I've decided to keep it at 1d12, as explained earlier. Dragon Riders are supposed to be very strong enemies. 1d12 and 1d10 is a different at max of 40 HP in 20 levels if I rolled a 12 vs. 10 every time. Some of you guys are dealing nearly that amount of damage in a single turn as it is.

Level Proficiency Bonus Features

1st +2 Path of the Dragon Rider
2nd +2 ???????
3rd +2 Path of the Dragon Rider Feature
4th +2 Ability Score Improvement
5th +3 Draconic Prowess
6th +3 Path of the Dragon Rider Feature
7th +3 Elemental Blade
8th +3 Ability Score Improvement
9th +4 Draconic Prowess Upgrade
10th +4 Path of the Dragon Rider Feature
11th +4 Draconic Will
12th +4 Ability Score Improvement
13th +5 Elemental Blade Upgrade
14th +5 Path of the Dragon Rider Feature
15th +5 ??????
16th +5 Ability Score Improvement
17th +6 Draconic Prowess Upgrade
18th +6 ?????
19th +6 Ability Score Improvement
20th +6 Draconic Champion

Path of the Dragon Rider
You have bonded with a Dragon Hatchling, and a special bond has been forged between you and your first Dragon. At 1st level, you have a Pseudodragon (species is player's choice) whose alignment can differ by one (a LG player would have a dragon of NG, LN, or LG alignment). This dragon is treated as a normal dragon, but is loyal to you, as you’ve raised it and developed a strong bond. If your dragon is abused by you, however, the dragon may turn on you and leave.

As you gain levels in this class, your dragon grows in power. If you are unconscious or absent, your dragon does its best to protect itself and you from harm, even if it means fleeing from danger. In the event of your dragon’s death and you survive, you must make a wisdom save with penalties against madness. If the rider dies, the dragon will suffer from the same affects. You cannot bond with another dragon, and your dragon cannot bond with another rider. The survivor may retire or resume their adventure.

At 1st level, you have learned to speak with your dragons with your thoughts. Since your bond is relatively new, you can only communicate telepathically up to 100 feet. You can speak, read, and write in Draconic. At 1st level, you choose the Deity you follow.

NOTES: The Path of Bahamut and Tiamat are inspired by the deities themselves. Bahamut is a deity of life and protection, so naturally, I wanted abilities that would protect the Dragon Rider and the Dragon. Tiamat is on the other side of the coin; a more offensive path.

Path of Dragon Rider Feature:

Bahamut’s Blessing
Starting at 3rd level, Bahamut bestows a blessing; an aura of protection. So long as the Dragon Rider is wearing armor, they have a +2 bonus to their AC.

-------------------

Tiamat’s Blessing
Starting at 3rd level, Tiamat bestows a blessing: an aura of vigilance. For one minute, you can call upon Tiamat to engulf yourself in an aura matching the color of your dragon as a bonus action. When a creature, other than your dragon, comes within 5 feet of you or you activate while they are in range, they take 1d8 damage that matches the type of your dragon.

NOTES: With Bahamut being the deity of protection and Tiamat a destroyer, these were the class features I chose for the early path.

Ability Score Increase
When you reach 4th level, and again at 6th, 12th, 16th, and 19th, level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, increase two ability scores of your choice by 1, or choose a feat of your choice.

NOTES: Standard ASI progression.

Draconic Prowess
Starting at 5th level, your bond with your dragon seems to have quickened your limbs. Whenever you take the attack action, you may make two attacks. You also increase your walking speed by 10ft. When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack. The number of attacks increases to three when attacked when you reach 9th level, and increase to four attacks when you reach 17th level.

NOTES: Draconic Prowess is a variation on the multiattack for fighters and other classes. It is a result of the rider's body being manipulated by the draconic bond shared with the Dragon. I got rid of the Parry reaction.

EDIT: STILL MOVING SHIT AROUND. PLACEMENT MAY CHANGE

Path of the Dragon Rider Feature

Draconic Protection
At 6th level, when you are mounted on your dragon, enemy melee attacks are done with disadvantage against you and your dragon.

----------------------

Draconic Fury
At 6th level, when you are mounted on your dragon and either you or your dragon gets hit with a melee attack within 5ft, your dragon gets a reaction against the attacker. The attack may be a Bite, Claw, or Breath Weapon if charged.

NOTES: A little simple, but it keeping in theme of protection vs. destruction. I changed the 30 ft distance rule to they must be mounted in order to take affect. Ali pointed out that I neglected the Dragon in these features. I was giving them their own benefits in their own homebrew, but hey, I like your thinking. Good job Ali.

Elemental Blade
At 7th level, your blades gain elemental properties. Your weapon deals the same type of damage as your dragon. You deal 1d8 damage in addition to your normal damage. At 13th level, increase the damage die to 2d8.

NOTES: Dance of the Dragon has been removed as a result of the Fighting Stance.

???
At 15th level, -

NOTES: EDIT: MOVING SHIT AROUND

???
At 10th level, -

NOTES: Since I'm merging the Expert Rider with the Adult Dragon Rider, I haven't come up with anything for either path just yet. Suggestions are welcome.

Draconic Will
At 11th level, you attain the pinnacle of resilience in battle. At the start of each of your turns, you regain hit points equal to your Constitution modifier if you have no more than half of your hit points left. You don’t gain this benefit if you have 0 hit points.

NOTES: I removed the 5 from the total number and just have it as the Constitution Modifier itself. Should be more than enough.

Mercy of Bahamut
At 14th level, when both you and your dragon are at 0 HP but are stabilized, roll a percentile at the start of your turn. If you roll under your level, you and your dragon regain half of your HP rounded down, and you regain consciousness. Any levels of exhaustion or conditions you or your dragon suffer are healed. This can only be done once until you’ve had a long rest.

----------------------

Wrath of Tiamat
At 14th level, when both you and your dragon are at 0 HP but are stabilized, roll a percentile at the start of you or your dragon's turn, whichever comes first. If you roll under your level, you and your dragon regain consciousness, and enter a rage. In addition to your normal attack, you and your dragon can take a bonus attack action. After both you and your dragon have completed your turn, both you and your dragon fall unconscious. You and your dragon gain two levels of exhaustion. This can only be done once until you’ve had a long rest.

Notes: Made slight adjustments. Main difference is Blessing of Bahamut results in 50% HP regain if you roll d100 and roll under your level. Wrath of Tiamat is basically a revenge attack before they lose consciousness again.

Expert Rider
At 15th level, telepathy with your dragon improves to one mile. While mounted, you and your dragon gain the ability to make a bonus action on their turn. On your turn, you can have your dragon make a single attack action as a bonus action. When it is your dragon’s turn, you can take an attack action as a bonus action.

NOTES: Merged with Expert Rider and tweaked just a bit.

Draconic Champion
At 20th level, you embody the power of the dragon. Your Strength and Constitution scores increase by 4. Your maximum for those scores is now 24.

NOTES: EDIT: Moved to final slot.

I am still working on this homebrew class, mostly on the 10th level Path of the Dragon Rider feature. Still thinking on what to do for it. Leaning a bit for the Fighter Stance feature for Tiamat, but not sure what to do for Bahamut. Maybe some healing? Dunno yet.

Anyway, that's it for the 3.1 version of the Dragon Rider update. Please leave feedback.

P.S. if you think these guys are scary, just wait till you see the main villain I have planned. Blame Nour in advance. It'll likely be her fault.

EDIT: Had a discussion with Nour, removing the tie between Dragon size scaling from Rider and making it it's own. Will be moving things around.
Back to top Go down

Dragon Rider Version 3.1
Page 1 of 1