World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Problem solved due to Card Text (PSCT)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Behemoth
Young Fiend
 Young Fiend
Behemoth

Achievement Points : 20

Problem solved due to Card Text (PSCT) Empty
PostSubject: Problem solved due to Card Text (PSCT)   Problem solved due to Card Text (PSCT) EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 5:26 am

Problem Solved due to Card Text

New card effect template

As you may know, every card since the first Structure Deck of Yuma, YS11, all cards follow a new scheme of card text.
Let's look a simple card like Dimensional Prison. You all know it. If not, here's a link for you: Click here.
Its PSCT is as follows:
When an opponent's monster declares an attack: Target that monster; banish that target.

Now, however, if we look at the old card text, which says...

Dimensional Prison wrote:
Activate only when your opponent declares an attack. Remove from play the attacking monster.

What changed?

Everything BEFORE the first colon [ : ] in a sentence are activation requirements. These cannot be ignored.
For example, you cannot use the effect of Card Trooper during your opponent's turn. Same goes for Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon or Dimensional Alchemist.

Furthermore, all parts AFTER the colon [ : ] but BEFORE the FIRST semi-colon [ ; ] are activation costs or things that happen at activation. You must pay these costs or most perform all necessary actions at activation before the actual card effect happens and they do not count as part of the card effect.

As you can already guess, continuing from above paragraph, everything AFTER the FIRST semi-colon [ ; ] happens at resolution of an effect; this can never be chained to. The only possible thing that could here would be continuous effects applying.

If we now take the card I used as an example, we can see that the card (Dimensional Prison) exactly shows that.

When an opponent's monster declares an attack:

This part is the activation requirement(s). As we see, an opponent's monster has to declare an attack for us to use D. Prison.

Target that monster;
This part is the cost, or, in this case, things that happen at activation. You select the attacking monster, you directly declare it as your target. Now is the time for you or your opponent to activate card effects or cards. After this point, after you targeted the monster and after no other cards or effects were activated in the chain, the chain resolves.

banish that target.

This is the resolution if the card effect. Here, the monster will be banished. As I already mentioned, these effects cannot be chained to.

Old card text phrases changes

Next, a short look at old card text that has been changed to something exciting and super exciting.

Examples

Remove from play -> Banish

During a battle between this Attack Position card and a monster in Defense Position, if the ATK of this card is higher than the DEF of the attacked monster, inflict the difference to your opponent as Battle Damage -> Piercing Damage (thanks God for this necessary change)

If there are any questions regarding this article, feel free to post or drop a PM.

Edit: This article was also taken from DA, yet it is my own work and no one else took part in writing that besides from minor corrections from Black Luster Soldier and The Detonator.

Edit II: PSCT stands for Problem-Solving Card Text o.o
I forgot to mention that thorought this entire article. Sorry :(
Back to top Go down
http://duelacademy.net/u7064
DigiDigi
WDA Staff
WDA  Staff
DigiDigi

Achievement Points : 60
Waifu : DigiDigi, Digi(^w^)

PostSubject: Re: Problem solved due to Card Text (PSCT)   Problem solved due to Card Text (PSCT) EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 6:23 am

It would've been nice if you made references to older card texts that have been left unedited such as any card text that uses commas to state a requirement such as in this quoted example : "Once per turn ," There are still many unedited cards that utilize commas or no (what is thought as unneeded) punctuation at all. Good article nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
Behemoth
Young Fiend
 Young Fiend
Behemoth

PostSubject: Re: Problem solved due to Card Text (PSCT)   Problem solved due to Card Text (PSCT) EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 7:08 am

I was giving a basic overview over the structure and a certain example.

If necessary, I'll surely make a more detailed list.
Back to top Go down
L.Lawliet
Envoy Soldier
Envoy Soldier
L.Lawliet

Achievement Points : 32
Waifu : L.Lawliet

PostSubject: Re: Problem solved due to Card Text (PSCT)   Problem solved due to Card Text (PSCT) EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 7:53 am

Space pIrate wrote:
I was giving a basic overview over the structure and a certain example.

If necessary, I'll surely make a more detailed list.

Check Dest's tutorial in DNF for help.
Back to top Go down
Behemoth
Young Fiend
 Young Fiend
Behemoth

PostSubject: Re: Problem solved due to Card Text (PSCT)   Problem solved due to Card Text (PSCT) EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 7:58 am

I quit DN Forums some time ago.

Also, the article is kinda old, back in the time when I was still on BRA.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problem solved due to Card Text (PSCT)   Problem solved due to Card Text (PSCT) Empty

Back to top Go down

Problem solved due to Card Text (PSCT)
Page 1 of 1