World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

"The Heart"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
danna45
WDA Member
WDA Member
danna45

Achievement Points : 14
Waifu : arcade bumstead

"The Heart" Empty
PostSubject: "The Heart"   "The Heart" EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 11:20 pm

I'm bored and I want to get motivated to write.

Now, when coming up with stories, what kind of idea do you start with? A character? A setting? A feeling? When developing, what do you focus on? What do you absolutely keep in the story you're writing no matter what? How much do you develop your ideas before you start writing? What is the heart of you story?

If instead you enjoy stories, what aspects of it do you particularly enjoy or look out for? Character? Character development? Setting/lore? Narration?

If it's on a case-by-case basis, feel free to anecdote.
Back to top Go down
Fish
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Fish

Achievement Points : 0
Waifu : Meheheh

"The Heart" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "The Heart"   "The Heart" EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 11:45 pm

Well it depends on your writing style, generally you have an inspiration to start a work. For me, I start from a vague theme or plotline, work in a setting and add in good characters to drive the story.
Others might start with the characters if they're more character-driven, Wes Anderson would be an example.
Just start with something you like and work outwards to create a plot etc.
Back to top Go down
danna45
WDA Member
WDA Member
danna45

Achievement Points : 14
Waifu : arcade bumstead

"The Heart" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "The Heart"   "The Heart" EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 12:16 am

That's the thing though, what writing style do I want to go with? What narrative perspective, how detailed do my descriptions be, what do I want to narrate, all that just makes me feel confused and lazy and words don't flow from my head.

I guess I need inspiration after all.
Back to top Go down
J.J. Knight
Envoy Soldier
Envoy Soldier
J.J. Knight

Achievement Points : 32
Waifu : no laifu

"The Heart" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "The Heart"   "The Heart" EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 1:24 am

First, I tend to get my story ideas from dreams. I can control what I dream about, so it is an immersive experience to talk to characters. To me, they feel alive and have their own personalities. So, the first thing I focus on is the characters. Once I have them developed, I then set them aside and make a story. Once I have the general concept, I place the characters in the story and if they meld well, I resume from there. I tend to focus mostly on the characters I create and the story evolves around them, changing if need be. Sometimes, I do change the character if I discover that it'd be more beneficial for the character to behave like this or develop this trait instead of another. If that makes any sense.

As for writing style, I write 3rd person omniscient. I want to have the reader enjoy the perspective of many characters, not just one. I never just focus on one character. In PBZ's case, I focus on three (and their Pokemon) and a multitude of minor characters that come and go to serve the story and their adventure. I want the reader to see what's going on with the three characters at different views, especially when they do separate. Focus is never solely just on one character.

Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

"The Heart" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "The Heart"   "The Heart" EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 8:24 am

The most accepted method has the following steps.
1) Faceroll on your keyboard
2) Try to make coherent sentences out of the result
3) Try to make all the sentences make sense together
4) Take it from there. When in trouble, repeat from 1.

As for my own personal method,
1) Think up a story in my head randomly
2) Continue thinking about that story, still in my head, and keep working on it, still only in my head, for at least 5 years.
3) Finally write half a chapter
4) Give up

Pick one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"The Heart" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "The Heart"   "The Heart" Empty

Back to top Go down

"The Heart"
Page 1 of 1