World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

SOPA Protests

Go down 
+9
psychoturtle
Red
Silver
Al-Bhed
wynchester
DigiDigi
AsianShadow
Unknown
Kimo Force
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kimo Force

Achievement Points : 9
Waifu : Galko-chan

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:51 am

Good to know one of the largest hacker groups are on our side. Normally, I don't support the acts they pull off, but this is one I approve of unless there's something else they're aiming for.
By the way, who plans on going dark that day? Personally, I do not wish to drag the entire forum into this since not everybody plans on going dark, but I, myself, won't connect to the internet on January 18th in protest of SOPA. It sounds a little silly, but it's a good sign that we do not want this bill to pass.
Oh, and don't type in their name on the forum just to avoid trouble.
Back to top Go down
Unknown
WDA Member
WDA Member
Unknown

Achievement Points : 25
Waifu : therealUnknown

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 7:11 am

Umm...I have a question: What is this? SOPA Protests 2031708380
Back to top Go down
AsianShadow
WDA Member
WDA Member
AsianShadow

Achievement Points : 13
Waifu : ProdigyShadow

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 7:27 am

Same here,Unknown,is there going to be virus on Jan. 18 or something because I couldnt fully understand what this meant.Especially in your first sentence when you said, " Glad to know that one of the largest hacker groups are on our side."
Back to top Go down
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kimo Force

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 7:42 am

Kids these days...
SOPA is a bill that stands for "Stop Online Piracy Act", or just another misspelling of "Soap". Basically, it wants to take down piracy for good, but that's what it wants us to believe. If you have eyes and ears, you'll find out that what they're trying to do is give more control and power to companies, and they'll take it from the people. What I mean by that is they won't tolerate with even the slightest of copyright infringements, meaning that if you take a video of yourself with the TV on showing the new Disney movie, Disney has the right to sue you for copyright infringement. Not only that, but the people AND the websites associated with this so-called "infringement" are legally responsible for what happens, so they can shut down your website if it has a reference from The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. If this bill passes, Youtube, Twitter, deviantArt, and possibly Wikipedia, are going to be in serious trouble, including everyone else on the internet. Oh, and if you post something they don't like, for example "Obama sucks", they can censor it, file a case against you, or force you to pay a fine.
And no, there won't be any viruses on the internet on January 18th. Maybe there will be just to force people to leave the internet as a protest against SOPA, but there is nothing official about that matter. Rumor has it that Google has a surprise for SOPA on that day, so best thing to do, to protest against SOPA and keep your computer safe, is to not log in on that day and pray SOPA gets what it deserves.

Last edited by Kimo Force on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DigiDigi
WDA Staff
WDA  Staff
DigiDigi

Achievement Points : 60
Waifu : DigiDigi, Digi(^w^)

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 7:46 am

I highly support this protest.
Back to top Go down
Unknown
WDA Member
WDA Member
Unknown

Achievement Points : 25
Waifu : therealUnknown

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 7:51 am

So this group that made the video is a hacker group and they are protesting against SOPA too.
Well I'm not turning on the computer on Jan. 18 anymore.
Back to top Go down
AsianShadow
WDA Member
WDA Member
AsianShadow

Achievement Points : 13
Waifu : ProdigyShadow

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 7:52 am

Same here.
Back to top Go down
wynchester
WDA Member
WDA Member
wynchester

Achievement Points : 0
Waifu : Wynchester

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 8:35 am

The worlds most idiotic thing about this is the way the people who propossed this bill cannot LEGALLY get it passed because much of their evidence and reasoning was attained illegally... They make an offshoot company saying here we'll give you this as a download for free... then the main company says "Hey you stole that!" and they are making millions off that. This bill is illegal and is NOT allowed to be passed due to the fact the companies who made this bill used illegal means to be able to provide reasons for why the bill is needed. This bill is null and void because of such. And I will fight all forms of law that try to put me in jail for such, fine me, shut down my businesses etc. I will not rest till it is repealed if it is passed. The companies should not set up sites giving away their materials for free if they intend to sue the people they are giving things to. It isnt dangling a carrot to make people steal. It's giving away possessions claiming that they are gifts then claiming thievery.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/michaelwynwyn
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:45 am

I don't know how it works in your country, but in mine it's not companies or financial interests that directly pass laws, it's the parliament. Even if financial interests do have something to do with it behind the scenes, it doesn't actually involve the actual law passing. It's not a court where evidence, etc. may be presented, to be therefore considered illegal due to false evidence, if the parliament finds it to be acceptable they pass it with a majority vote, simple as that. I think you are going about it the wrong way, and never will you find "salvation" in saying their evidence is false, because that is completely irrelevant to everyone involved. It is a law that restricts people's rights to expression, speach and to share information freely without your government being able to filter whatever that information may be. I have no idea what you people are led to believe for the how the laws that dictate your lives are made, but around here, whether it is what happens or not (of course no government listens to its people, however it seems that over there you don't even know they are supposed to), they are made by the parliament which are supposed to be representatives of the people and are supposed to answer to them, similarly to how your congress works, which should be your legislative authority as far as I know. With my limited law knowledge I believe by definition there is no such thing as an illegal law, only anti-constitutional law which in modern capitalism doesn't mean shit.

What I am getting at here is, people going at it that way are looking at the wrong right. Do you really mind the internet-investors that brought this evidence that much, or is it the restriction of your rights that you do not want to see? Whatever plan they supposedly had working from this, it is control that is going to come from policing and censoring the internet, and the benefit goes to those in control, pointing at entertainment companies on this, no matter what they did, is a lot more than stupid. By the definition of democracy it is the opinion of the people that becomes law, if the people are against any law they don't have to present evidence against it. Present it to who? It is made by them and for them supposedly. Supposedly they simply need to voice their opposition and will, that is the right you are looking for, not playing lawyer.

I don't know if people long since forgot how to not be under control or if that always was the case... But if you don't really claim your rights no one is going to give them to you, not even your government and definitelly not lawyers. I know you are too young to go there, but that's something to remember for the future.

And the hacktivist group name is Anonymous. I cannot fathom, being a person who is supposedly in a civilized world, which has supposedly evolved to the level we claim it to be, being unable to mention the name of a group of people. Besides, the word actually means something, it's not like we will be limiting our vocabulary for it.
Back to top Go down
Silver
Natura Wild-Boy
Natura Wild-Boy
Silver

Achievement Points : 38

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:47 am

whos sopa?
Back to top Go down
Red
WDA Member
WDA Member
Red

Waifu : fireraven23

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:48 am

@Al
What?
Back to top Go down
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:52 am

Bloo wrote:
whos sopa?
Either read the posts here or google it, that was a silly question, and that is the kind way to say it
Red wrote:
@Al
What?
there, there, go back inside, don't mind the scary world.
Back to top Go down
psychoturtle
WDA Member
WDA Member
psychoturtle

Waifu : IamPsychoturtle

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:06 am

The higher-ups can decide whatever they want. In the end it's the people that decide.
Back to top Go down
wynchester
WDA Member
WDA Member
wynchester

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:09 am

Al... I see what you mean, but our country lost interest in what the people want long ago. It's all about who can pay who how much money and so forth. America's government fell from grace in the 90s at the latest...

And in our country, you do have to present reasoning behind why a law is needed. Otherwise it wont get passed. And they illegally tricked people into pirating media so they can say "See! There is need for this law to be passed! And see how few people are opposing it? Many are people who stole from us in the first place!" And because the rich pay more money to politicians to push their agendas than they pay in taxes, the law will get passed despite the opinion of the vast majority of the public.
Back to top Go down
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:22 am

Evidence are the means of convincing Congressmen, I don't believe it is an actually legal precedure, only swaying of opinion, however, you say, as I do of course agree, that your government, as all governments under american financial imperialism that have to function under such laws of the market are, is corrupt, and I will tell you it was not in the 90s, it was long before that, and since you do believe that, it should be obvious that presenting evidence to Congressment is simply a front for the just decision making to be a believable process, the validity of them is irrelevant, their believability alone is enough, and even that may be relinquished every now and then.

So what is your stance against it? Saying corrupt systems are corrupt? Then they are legally, democratically, and truly rightfully elected and approved of along with any actions, by that acceptance in people.
Back to top Go down
wynchester
WDA Member
WDA Member
wynchester

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:37 am

Sadly, I 100% agree... Im not old enough to vote so I cant stop them from passing this with my vote of congressmen. Im not of influence to be able to convince anyone not to vote for this. I cant do squat.

My stance is this... people should not give something and claim they were robbed. The money they get from that alone is considered stolen. I believe the government should be replaced with a better one, one where everyone actually gets a vote on everything. WE are the Congress as long as we are informed on what is going on we are allowed a vote. It shouldnt matter what our age is as long as we understand what is going on. I believe that the higher-ups should have less of can impact on politics than they do. I also believe America is going down in flames and I refuse to pledge allegience to a country ruled by so much darkness that it will not choose to change and look at what is right. I believe that there will be a second civil war between the people and government and it is going to end bloody. That is why I plan on hightailing it out of here as soon as possible.
Back to top Go down
Joker
WDA Member
WDA Member
Joker

Waifu : Jokercard

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

So basically, the american government is trying to "control" or "ruin" the internet because major Corporations (who provide some financial backing to the american government) want to stop their property from being downloaded or used illegally.

Yet what I don't get it why ONE country thinks it has the power to pass a law that affects the entire world?
Back to top Go down
wynchester
WDA Member
WDA Member
wynchester

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:42 pm

Because America thinks it has the right to do whatever the hell it wants not realizing it's screwing itself in the long run...
Back to top Go down
Red
WDA Member
WDA Member
Red

Waifu : fireraven23

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 3:13 pm

I don't mean to put any threats on the internet before it happens, but bad things may happen to the white house if this works......

Okay, bad joke.
Back to top Go down
Scott
WDA Member
WDA Member
Scott

Waifu : TruthxRiku

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:04 pm

Maybe governments should open a bureau or something for large companies to report people for using their product illegally? or maybe the government should just take online pirating more seriously.

Last edited by Scott on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fish
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Fish

Waifu : Meheheh

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 8:15 pm

This law isn't illegal. As much as I disagree with it, if you use that argument seriously you'll be shot down xD Just as a warning.

They didn't hand out pirated software, that would be illegal. That would, as you say, be gifting people and then reporting them for thievery.

They just gave out the tools to give away and use pirated stuff. Think of this more as like.... Handing somebody the keys to your house, telling them when you'll be going on holiday, then hiding indoors with a shotgun and two police officers and waiting for them to break in. xD

I still hate SOPA though, it's horrendously stupid. Everybody that uses the internet for the internet (i.e. uses youtube, etc.) are not old enough to vote. Most of the people that can vote are unable to understand how SOPA will affect the internet so they're just saying "Yes" because they have some deluded concept that 'piracy is bad' and don't know that people are now taking 'piracy is bad' as an excuse to basically remove human rights from any internet user around the world.
Back to top Go down
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kimo Force

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:29 pm

Fish wrote:
They didn't hand out pirated software, that would be illegal. That would, as you say, be gifting people and then reporting them for thievery.
They did that too. Ask Uncle Disney.
Back to top Go down
Scott
WDA Member
WDA Member
Scott

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:36 pm

If this happens I'm moving to Canada lol

Last edited by Scott on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kimo Force

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:41 pm

Scott wrote:
If this happens I'm moving to Canada lol
Oh sure. I mean, the internet is mainly for Americans. Canadians are pro enough to use the Maplewire. And heck, even us Egyptians back here use the Nile Stream. Problem solved, fellas; just don't be American! Take that, Bandit Keith!
Yes, I am being sarcastic, don't ask.
Back to top Go down
Scott
WDA Member
WDA Member
Scott

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:55 pm

I admit it, I was wrong, and I admit to being wrong in the chatbox to some extent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SOPA Protests Empty
PostSubject: Re: SOPA Protests   SOPA Protests Empty

Back to top Go down

SOPA Protests
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next