World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Writing Competition Event Rules

Go down 
AuthorMessage
J.J. Knight
Envoy Soldier
Envoy Soldier
J.J. Knight

Achievement Points : 32
Waifu : no laifu

The Writing Competition Event Rules Empty
PostSubject: The Writing Competition Event Rules   The Writing Competition Event Rules EmptyWed May 09, 2012 4:32 am

Hello and welcome to WDA's first Writing Competition. This event is a bi-monthly event that will take place over a ten day period. The genre of writing will vary every week, so this competition will not be limited to a single genre. Types of writing include short story, poetry, and short essays.

Do not be discouraged; the length of the entries will not be very long. I won't make you write a novel (yet). Expected word count for short stories will be 500-1500 words, short essays will be 300-500 words, and poetry will vary depending on the type of poem that will be hosted at every competition.

Now, for the general rules for every competition.

1. NO plagiarism. If you are caught plagiarizing, you will be immediately removed from the competition. Second offense is a month long ban, and third is a permanent removal from participation. You can argue the motion if you truly had no idea that the piece of work existed, but if it's copied word for word, then the chance of you coming back will be nearly impossible. You can use your own work so long as it's original, but please try to write new pieces.

2. Do not drop out mid-competition. If you wish to enter the competition but for some reason cannot compete, please inform me and supply me with a reason. Most of the time, I should accept it if it's reasonable (a "because I don't want to" is unacceptable).

3. Keep the story in good taste and make sure it keeps to the rules. If the rules are broken, your submission will not be accepted. Keep in mind that people will read your work. If you have questions, please ask before submission.

4. Only one draft will be accepted. You can ask for advice, but no revisions will be offered.

Now, for how the competition will be run.

Days 1-7

The first seven days will be the Writing Phase. This phase is pretty self explanatory. For the first seven days, you will write out your project. You can submit it any time within the seven day period, and you'll get an "Accept" or "Decline" PM from myself. If accepted, you aren't allowed to make revisions to your project. If declined, then you have a little more time to work on it. If you don't make the set deadline, then your project will not be accepted.

Day 8-9

The eighth day will be the Competition Choice. Over a 48 hour period, the other contestants will be able to vote for their favorite submission with the exception of their own. This will allow the other competitors to get their work reviewed by the other writers and see where they need to improve. Depending on how well done the submissions are, there may be points awarded for the most votes. (1st may get 3 points, 2nd may get 2 points, 3rd may get 1 point, etc.).

Day 10

This is the final day of the competition. Here is where the scoring on each entry will be revealed and awarded. The entries will be judged on a score of 10, with the highest scored entry the winner. The scoring will vary on the genre of writing.

Competitions will be hosted on the 1st/15th of each month. Keep and eye out for the next competition!

Requested by compulsive cheater. (sticky please)
Back to top Go down

The Writing Competition Event Rules
Page 1 of 1