World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New MLP Movie with a Twist

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kimo Force

Achievement Points : 9
Waifu : Galko-chan

New MLP Movie with a Twist Empty
PostSubject: New MLP Movie with a Twist   New MLP Movie with a Twist EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:19 am

I wouldn't recommend opening this.
Spoiler:

New York Times wrote:
Hasbro, the toy company that brought its Transformers and G.I. Joe properties to movie theaters, has set its sights on its next summer blockbuster: My Little Pony.

The ponies, a Hasbro staple for 30 years, have experienced a resurgence of popularity lately, thanks in part to the TV series “My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.” Hoping to build on that interest, Hasbro recently revealed plans for brand extension called Equestria Girls.

The new property will get the red-carpet treatment when it premieres as a full-length animated feature at the Los Angeles Film Festival in June. The movie, created by Hasbro Studios, the company’s production division, will then be released in more than 200 theaters nationwide; its trailer will start appearing in theaters on Wednesday.

“We are responding to the desire by our fans to experience the brand in more ways,” said John A. Frascotti, Hasbro’s chief marketing officer. “They imagined themselves as which pony they would be or which pony they identified with the most.”

So Hasbro created Equestria Girls, a parallel world in which the My Little Pony characters were reconceived as teenage girls in high school. To maintain continuity, Hasbro retained the same creative talent, animation style and message of friendship.

“Our goal is to stay true to who those characters are,” said Meghan McCarthy, the head writer for the movie, adding that the high school setting allowed for new storytelling possibilities. “It’s new but still an extension of our mythology.”

The movie — titled “My Little Pony: Equestria Girls” — will be released on DVD later in the United States and other markets worldwide, followed by a television debut on the Hub network in the fall.

“It is a major strategic initiative for us,” Mr. Frascotti said, one that will feature toys, apparel, publishing and accessories. Multimedia components include an interactive Web site, content on YouTube and a partnership with Stardoll.com, a fashion Web site for girls.

Hasbro does not break out revenue for My Little Pony, but in its earnings statement in April, the company said its girls’ category rose 23 percent in the first quarter compared with the same period last year, growth that was helped in part by the My Little Pony brand.

Equestria Girls offers an opportunity to build on that growth, said Michael Vogel, vice president for development at Hasbro Studios. “This is a bold new direction,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/13/business/equestria-girls-a-my-little-pony-offshoot-in-its-movie-debut.html?_r=5&

WHAT
THE
F***
IS
THIS?!?!?!

Guys, there's a line you need to draw between listening to the fans and ignoring them. You crossed that line starting with season 3, and now this is just ridiculous. HUMANIZED PONIES?! REALLY?! Are you even trying anymore, Hasbro?

Let's be honest, we all know that humanized ponies exist in fan art and fan fiction and should stay so, so why bring them out? If you're still aiming at pleasing the original targeted age, then congratulations, too bad that's only a very small portion of your fanbase.

As for the bronies, it just seems that you're only trying to please the portion of them who come up with these fics for their own amusement, instead of coming up with something genuine to have them talk about for weeks. Oh, and I think this is going to drive a lot of bronies away, because you're repeating the same mistakes made in the older generations, specifically two, which was why I hated MLP all my life until generation four showed up (I still hate the older generations).

I don't approve of humanizing the characters because the simple design is a factor that also help put the show together, which is now replaced. And how about the smooth animation? Is that still going to be there now that the characters are more complex? Also, you're now openly saying "Hey, look, fanbase, we're listening to you now! We're totally fresh out of ideas!" You could drive a lot of fans away, if you haven't already.

Even if you're going to keep the characters, now it looks like a cheap copy of Monster High or any other high school cartoon for kids. 23% increase in female fanbase and THIS is what you pull off? What if I told you that those were mainly bronies, huh? The main reasons why a lot watched the show are gone.

I mean, high-school themed?! Are you even sure most bronies are into that? The simple plot is what gave way for many references, gags, and jokes, but now you're stuck with a lot more realistic problems which could not give much freedom for the writers to express themselves. Oh, and it's going to be dumbed down for six-year olds I guess? Are you sure you want something like that?

Humanizing may have worked for fan art because it's fan art. When it turns into something official AND you theme it around high school, you're basically tossing away everything you built. Maybe I was annoyed over the new design a little too much because I don't have many reasonable reasons, but it feels wrong, too wrong when a fanbase as huge as the bronies are followed completely with little or no creativity from the producers.

To those who are willing to be patient with this, that's your opinion, but I also wonder why are you willing to buy this? There are tons of shows that get the high school theme much better, watch those instead of this, don't watch this just because it's called My Little Pony. If you're willing to give this a chance, you're open to do so, but it's just pointless. If it turns out to be a bash, then good for the community and for Hasbro, but I don't see how that'd be possible, not with the way Hasbro is going at it.

And let's be honest, MLP is a show for little girls. We only joined the fun wagon for several reasons, and I think those reasons are no longer there, not in the movie at least. I put away my hooves as soon as I was disgusted by the season 3 premier, and I guess it's just going to stay that way. I'm sorry, it's just...wrong...
Back to top Go down
Unknown
WDA Member
WDA Member
Unknown

Achievement Points : 25
Waifu : therealUnknown

PostSubject: Re: New MLP Movie with a Twist   New MLP Movie with a Twist EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:24 am

Dam. Doesn't look that interesting. There are enough teenage girl shows.
Back to top Go down
Sherlock Holmes
Lil Viper
 Lil Viper
Sherlock Holmes

Achievement Points : 13
Waifu : ---

PostSubject: Re: New MLP Movie with a Twist   New MLP Movie with a Twist EmptyTue May 14, 2013 8:27 am

New MLP Movie with a Twist 4b71d47a_69311c75_mother-of-god-super-troopers
Back to top Go down
Nour Force
Magical Girl
Magical Girl
Nour Force

Achievement Points : 114
Waifu : 02

PostSubject: Re: New MLP Movie with a Twist   New MLP Movie with a Twist EmptyTue May 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Spoiler:
I wonder if it's not too late to see what EW's doing. After all, he's one step closer to eliminating Equestria.
Back to top Go down
https://worldduelingacademy.forumotion.com/
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kimo Force

PostSubject: Re: New MLP Movie with a Twist   New MLP Movie with a Twist EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 3:49 pm

Okay, so the trailer came out recently, and I'll try not to be too negative about this. The animation is at least good in a way. However, the story is actually...something I've actually seen from a fan-fiction before, especially from an old brony friend of mine from deviantArt. I still can't judge the plot entirely yet because only very little was revealed, but despite it being not very original, it's seemingly okay, although I'd have to say that the movie will get a major point down if it makes little use of the high school theme. It's a plus that other ponies/furry humans are in the show at the very least. The villain is eh, I'm not sure. We've had other crazier ideas, so this one just seems like a pretty bland pick from Hasbro, and since we're talking about dimension-crossing here, why couldn't their humanized personas have normal human skin then?

I still have a negative opinion towards the movie, but the trailer at least softened things for me. I assumed that the movie was going to be an ordinary stereotypical high school movie, but now that it does have a plot, things do seem to be a bit better.

I'm still not watching it though. MLP just isn't interesting enough for me with Hasbro milking all the fan-fic ideas, and inputting little to nothing original from their side. I'll use my time to watch other anime instead.
Back to top Go down
DigiDigi
WDA Staff
WDA  Staff
DigiDigi

Achievement Points : 60
Waifu : DigiDigi, Digi(^w^)

PostSubject: Re: New MLP Movie with a Twist   New MLP Movie with a Twist EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 6:02 pm

June 16th? I'll pay $8 to see the cosplay at a mainstream AMC theaters.
Back to top Go down
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kimo Force

PostSubject: Re: New MLP Movie with a Twist   New MLP Movie with a Twist EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 3:39 am

Send pictures if you can so I can get a good laugh. :3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New MLP Movie with a Twist   New MLP Movie with a Twist Empty

Back to top Go down

New MLP Movie with a Twist
Page 1 of 1