World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

To YGOPro or not to YGOPro...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Reikan
Baby Turtle
 Baby Turtle
Reikan

Achievement Points : 12
Waifu : MangArmand

To YGOPro or not to YGOPro... Empty
PostSubject: To YGOPro or not to YGOPro...   To YGOPro or not to YGOPro... EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 11:54 am

To YGOPro or not to YGOPro... Lcsrd

That is the question. Should we all start migrating to YGOPro and make it our main software (DN could still be used upon option...) Maybe its time? Hey, its open software...that means you can edit it yourself and add backgrounds (i think...? I want to figure that out). It has a AI beta for you and its automated (some dont like this, others love it because of the experience with randoms from DN.) IDK. I'm gonna start packing my bags from DN now.
Back to top Go down
http://ilikeanimesobiteme.tumblr.com/
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Re: To YGOPro or not to YGOPro...   To YGOPro or not to YGOPro... EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 12:41 pm

Mechanics of DN are simply superior, not much for me to debate there. YGO is a game where you interact with your opponent, so automated systems are pointless and cannot simulate a real ygo game, at least as they are now on ygo pro. Rules simply will not be followed properly, you get about a 90% accuracy out of it, which is as much as they can do. That and its deckbuilder is the reason I have favoured DN until now, mechanics are very important to me to disregard (also, ygo pro deckbuilder is so inconvenient, and moving 500+ decks from DN would suck).

However, there has been this notion floating around DN where it tries to be a new konami for some reason instead of a casual simulator, with things being as official as possible every time (DN, not DNF). It was mentioned back on DNF that DN is mainly for decktesting for TCG tournaments, which of course is utter bs since most users are casuals (by definition, tryhards will always be the minority), however for some reason that is the direction DN is following. But hey, I happen to not use DN for TCG testing, I use it casually as a ygo simulator like most people who use it do. So for me who wants cool new cards and cool new decks, it is inconvenient that there is no OCG banlist. It is inconvenient that the joint pool now has less people and it is harder to find a casual rated duel for TCG/OCG-singles, because for some reason the default is TCG-match, even though that is not what the majority of DN users are looking for (majority is casual users and of course most casual users of DN would not visit DN forums to vote, because they use DN casually). Now, there is the arguement that I could just play unrated if there are issues with the pool (which thankfully still functions, but is constantly slow), which is wrong because
a) DNCG is a legitimate format of DN still, it's not like I am doing something wrong by playing TCG/OCG singles, it is simply the format I prefer, so there is no reason for me not to play rated duels for it.
b) Finding duels in unrated is not automated, is luck based, does not match rating, has people who won't communicate/quit/throw random cards to test (because for some reason there is no way to get in the simulator alone to test the system and/or deck draws, but every time someone has to test DN, there has to be a victim in unrated who will unwillingly get in a duel with someone who doesn't want to play ygo) and above all, you continuously get into ruling disputes that cannot get resolved unless you are damn good at convincing people, all of which make unrated often a much worse experience.
As for the banlist, you could say I could play in unlimited, but that's a retarted arguement because by definition I cannot find random duels in it (I could put an "OCG" note, but there is no guarantee it will be followed, it's unrated we are talking about), which defeats the point of a ygo simulator in its current form.

But above all else, my biggest issue and inconvenience with DN, is the rate at which cards are updated. Remember back when DN started? Remember when it was still trying to get players in? What was one of the main incentives for it? New cards, updated in time. That is what drew me in from KCVDS at the time, it was not the fact it was browser based, it was not the mechanics, it was the cards which KCVDS never updated. But now DN is extremely TCG focused. TCG exclusives will appear on DN a short while after they are announced. OCG cards appear on DN only after they are released. That means, for those of us who follow new releases, we could know about cards for even a month, or more, sometimes, with their full effect and information, before they are released on DN. Every time the response is that it is because the cards are not yet released (which doesn't seem to affect TCG exclusives for some reason), and that response would be valid if DN was konami. DN of course is not Konami, DN has no reason to uphold this policy other than simply not caring about new cards. You could say they have a right to not care since no one is profiting from this, but that would be a lie, because constantly on DN other than the external ad, there are constantly card retailer ads on both the menu and the duel room, while there is actually a built in system into the deck builder for selling cards from TCGplayer.com, which is all advertising to tens of thousands of relevant users 24/7, so if no one is profiting from this and it's only server costs, then someone is ripping off bls real hard, because good advertising in this world is very well rewarded.

So in the end, personally I am migrating to ygopro. I dislike the automated mechanics, but I like cards, which is what this game is about. I am tired of waiting for ages for cards on DN when I already have known about them for a while, I want to be able to build as soon as I get the idea and am excited about it. And I guess it's natural in the end, since my purpose for using DN was not decktesting for TCG tournaments, which is what DN is about lately, apparently. I still will probably use DN for serious games or for getting certain decks, but I imagine once I start getting used building in ygopro, I won't be going back outside of serious games.
Back to top Go down
Reikan
Baby Turtle
 Baby Turtle
Reikan

PostSubject: Re: To YGOPro or not to YGOPro...   To YGOPro or not to YGOPro... EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 12:56 pm

I full-heartedly agree with your stance. If I could, I would stay on DN and I would use it more often for days to come. I had a bad feeling about the OCG and TCG stamps until they updated the pool and eliminated TCG/OCG. That's such a deal breaker more than anything for the reasons you stated. At first glance I thought it was cool that they had OCG and TCG stamps, that helps clarify what isn't released in the TCG yet. Good points there. Then they go and screw up their methods.

On another note: people go on saying that YGOPro open sourced, isn't there a possibility that anyone could edit it? Or am I thinking that because it claims to be open sourced based on its source code being public, one could build a different model such as DevPro or is it such that anyone can edit the software's database? I'm still confused when people say YGOpro is open sourced and confused as to what they mean by that.
Back to top Go down
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Re: To YGOPro or not to YGOPro...   To YGOPro or not to YGOPro... EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 1:08 pm

Slight correction, TCG/OCG is not eliminated, it is still available but it is not the default, lowering the population of the pool.

Open sourced means that the code is available to see.
Back to top Go down
Reikan
Baby Turtle
 Baby Turtle
Reikan

PostSubject: Re: To YGOPro or not to YGOPro...   To YGOPro or not to YGOPro... EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 3:13 pm

Here is the download link: http://www.ygopro.co/Download.aspx

I still need to figure out why the hell it keeps making me download the update when I think I already did? Weird.
Back to top Go down
Trinity<3
WDA Member
WDA Member
Trinity<3

Achievement Points : 0
Waifu : Trinity<3333
Trin

PostSubject: Re: To YGOPro or not to YGOPro...   To YGOPro or not to YGOPro... EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 1:38 pm

I think this is necessary yes, But there is a new system being created soon so Migrate there instead.
Back to top Go down
Reikan
Baby Turtle
 Baby Turtle
Reikan

PostSubject: Re: To YGOPro or not to YGOPro...   To YGOPro or not to YGOPro... EmptyFri Jan 24, 2014 5:52 am

Espeon wrote:
I think this is necessary yes, But there is a new system being created soon so Migrate there instead.

New system? Care to expand on that?
Back to top Go down
Reikan
Baby Turtle
 Baby Turtle
Reikan

PostSubject: Re: To YGOPro or not to YGOPro...   To YGOPro or not to YGOPro... EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 12:19 pm

To YGOPro or not to YGOPro... 132883586524

Anyone else have thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Alibaba
Red-Eyed Warrior
Red-Eyed Warrior
Alibaba

Achievement Points : 47
Waifu : kys

PostSubject: Re: To YGOPro or not to YGOPro...   To YGOPro or not to YGOPro... EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 7:58 am

Well if we are talking about wda duels then i'd say dn because everyone here already has an account there and forcing them to download ygopro fir a possible tournament could be inconvenient or at the very least just off putting
Then again what fucking duels am i talking about?

Btw from what i hear the thing about the ocg cards is that they're supposedly afraid their translation is wrong and will supposedly cause people to whine about losing from that card which had wrong text, which in my opinion is utter bs but w.e

Btw is there much of a difference between ygopro and devpro? I'm not exactly sure there's much there

Back to top Go down
Nyantasim
WDA Member
WDA Member
Nyantasim

Achievement Points : 0
Waifu : Rip Van Winkle*

PostSubject: Re: To YGOPro or not to YGOPro...   To YGOPro or not to YGOPro... EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 4:09 am

I personally like YGOpro not DEVpro and the two should not be confused with each other...

But seriously I personally think YGOpro is nice how the AI works offline and I can test decks without messing up my rated scre on DN
Back to top Go down
Alibaba
Red-Eyed Warrior
Red-Eyed Warrior
Alibaba

Achievement Points : 47
Waifu : kys

PostSubject: Re: To YGOPro or not to YGOPro...   To YGOPro or not to YGOPro... EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 4:10 am

Though you can play unrated in dn

More importantly, please don't post on old topics
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To YGOPro or not to YGOPro...   To YGOPro or not to YGOPro... Empty

Back to top Go down

To YGOPro or not to YGOPro...
Page 1 of 1