World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Dragon Rider Version 3.0

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
J.J. Knight
Envoy Soldier
Envoy Soldier
J.J. Knight

Achievement Points : 32
Waifu : no laifu

Dragon Rider Version 3.0 Empty
PostSubject: Dragon Rider Version 3.0   Dragon Rider Version 3.0 EmptyTue Aug 15, 2017 1:39 pm

Dragon Rider Class Features

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d12 per Dragon Rider level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 1d12 + Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d12 (or 5) + Constitution modifier per Dragon Rider level after 1st

Proficiencies
Armor: All Armor and Shields
Weapons: All Weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Strength & Constitution
Skills: Two of the following: Acrobatics, Arcana, Athletics, Intimidation, History, Perception, Persuasion, and Survival. Animal Handling is for free.

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:

One martial weapon (and ammunition, if applicable).
Dragon Scale Mail (Matches the color of your dragon)
An exotic saddle (dragon)
(a) A martial weapon of your choice and shield or (b) Two martial weapons of your choice.
(a) A short bow and a quiver with 24 arrows or (b) A long bow with 24 arrows
(a) A Dungeoneer's Pack or (b) an Explorer's Pack
If getting your own items instead of the ones listed in the Equipment section, starting wealth is 4d4x10 gp.

Table: The Dragon Rider

Level Proficiency Bonus Features

1st +2 New Dragon Rider, Path of the Dragon Rider
2nd +2 Fighting Style, Path of the Dragon Rider Feature
3rd +2 Last Stand, Draconic Prowess
4th +2 Ability Score Improvement
5th +3 Wyrmling Dragon Rider
6th +3 Ability Score Improvement
7th +3 Elemental Blade, Path of the Dragon Rider Feature
8th +3 Dance of the Dragon, Draconic Prowess Upgrade
9th +4 Ability Score Improvement
10th +4 Young Dragon Rider
11th +4 Ability Score Improvement
12th +4 Draconic Will, Path of the Dragon Rider Feature
13th +5 Elemental Blade Upgrade, Draconic Prowess Upgrade
14th +5 Ability Score Improvement
15th +5 Adult Dragon Rider
16th +5 Ability Score Improvement
17th +6 Path of the Dragon Rider Feature
18th +6 Draconic Champion
19th +6 Ability Score Improvement
20th +6 Ancient Dragon Rider

New Dragon Rider
You have bonded with a Dragon Hatchling, and a special bond has been forged between you and your first Dragon. At 1st level, you have a Pseudodragon (species is player's choice) whose alignment can differ by one (a LG player would have a dragon of NG, LN, or LG alignment). This dragon is treated as a normal dragon, but is loyal to you, as you’ve raised it and developed a strong bond. If your dragon is abused by you, however, the dragon may turn on you and leave.

As you gain levels in this class, your dragon grows in power. If you are unconscious or absent, your dragon does its best to protect itself and you from harm, even if it means fleeing from danger. In the event of your dragon’s death and you survive, you must make a wisdom save with penalties against madness. If the rider dies, the dragon will suffer from the same affects. You cannot bond with another dragon, and your dragon cannot bond with another rider. The survivor may retire or resume their adventure.

At 1st level, you have learned to speak with your dragons with your thoughts. Since your bond is relatively new, you can only communicate telepathically up to 100 feet. You can speak, read, and write in Draconic.

Path of the Dragon Rider
At 1st level, you choose the Deity you follow.

Fighting Style
At 2nd level, you adopt a particular style of fighting as your specialty. Choose a fighting style from the list of optional features. You can't take the same Fighting Style option more than once, even if you get to choose again.

Archery
You gain a +2 bonus to Attack rolls you make with Ranged Weapons.

Defense
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

Dueling
When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other Weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to Damage Rolls with that weapon.

Great Weapon Fighting
When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an Attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the Two-Handed or Versatile property for you to gain this benefit.

Protection
When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the Attack roll. You must be wielding a Shield.

Last Stand
At 3rd level, you and your dragon are so bound together, you can even resist death for them. When you drop to 0 HP or die (including instant death, death through exhaustion, etc.), make a Constitution saving throw. If you succeed, you drop to 1 HP instead. You also lose one level of exhaustion. This lasts as long as you still have 1 HP. If your dragon is within 120 feet of you, you automatically succeed in the saving throw. You cannot use this again until you complete a long rest. This applies to your dragon as well.

Draconic Prowess
Starting at 3rd level, your bond with your dragon seems to have quickened your limbs. Whenever you take the attack action, you may make two attacks. You also increase your walking speed by 10ft. When you engage in two-weapon fighting, with a heavy weapon or dual wielding, you can add your ability modifier to the damage of the second attack. If an attack hits and you see the attacker while wielding a melee weapon, you add +2 to your AC. The number of attacks increases to three and add +3 to your AC when attacked when you reach 8th level, and increase to four attacks and +4 to AC when you reach 18th level.

Ability Score Increase
When you reach 4th level, and again at 6th, 9th, 11th, 14th, 16th, and 19th, level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, increase two ability scores of your choice by 1, or choose a feat of your choice.

Wyrmling Dragon Rider
When you reach 5th level, your pseudodragon’s accelerated growth has allowed it to grow into a Dragon Wyrmling. Your dragon gains the traits and skills listed as the Dragon Wyrmling you chose. Telepathy with your dragon increases to 500 feet. Your dragon is now large enough to ride, though not enough to fly with the rider. You gain the Mounted Combatant Feat when you reach this level.

Elemental Blade
At 7th level, your blades gain elemental properties. Your weapon deals the same type of damage as your dragon. You deal 1d8 damage in addition to your normal damage. At 13th level, increase the damage die to 2d8.

Dance of the Dragon
At 8th level, you can choose a second option from the Fighting Style class feature.

Young Dragon Rider
When you reach 10th level, your dragon ages and becomes a Young Dragon due to its accelerated growth. Your dragon’s stats improve. Telepathy with your dragon improves to 1000 feet. As a result of your strong bond, your body ceases to age and cannot be aged magically. You can still die of old age, disease, etc. +1 to AC to rider and dragon if rider is mounted.

Draconic Will
At 14th level, you attain the pinnacle of resilience in battle. At the start of each of your turns, you regain hit points equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier if you have no more than half of your hit points left. You don’t gain this benefit if you have 0 hit points.

Adult Dragon Rider
When you reach 15th level, your dragon becomes an adult dragon due to its accelerated growth. Your dragon’s stats improve. Telepathy with your dragon improves to one mile. +2 AC to both if rider is mounted. You are also immune to being Frightened and Charmed.

Draconic Champion
At 18th level, you embody the power of the dragon. Your Strength and Constitution scores increase by 4. Your maximum for those scores is now 24.

Ancient Dragon Rider
When you reach 20th level, your dragon has reached its pinnacle strength due to its accelerated growth. Your dragon’s stats improve. Telepathy has improved so much, you are now mentally linked with your dragon, no matter the distance between the two. +3 AC to both if rider is mounted. If your dragon is able to Polymorph, you can have your Ancient Dragon polymorph into a humanoid or another creature of your choice.

Path of the Dragon Rider

Blessing of Bahamut

Bahamut’s Blessing
Starting at 2nd level, Bahamut bestows a blessing; an aura of protection. So long as the Dragon Rider is wearing armor, they have a +2 bonus to their AC.

Draconic Protection
At 7th level, when you and your dragon are within 30ft of one another, enemy melee and ranged attacks are done at disadvantage. Also, when your dragon uses their breath weapon, the Dragon Rider is immune to the affects.

Expert Rider
At 12th level, while you are riding your dragon and your dragon is flying, you can move your dragon. While mounted, you and your dragon gain the ability to make a bonus action on their turn. While it is your turn and your mounted, you can have your dragon make a single attack action. When it is your dragon’s turn, you can take an attack action if you are near any enemies.

Mercy of Bahamut
At 17th level, when both you and your dragon are at 0 HP but are stabilized, roll a percentile at the start of your turn. If you roll under your level, you and your dragon regain all of your HP and you regain consciousness. Any levels of exhaustion or conditions you or your dragon suffer are healed. This can only be done once until you’ve had a long rest.

Blessing of Tiamat

Tiamat’s Blessing
Starting at 2nd level, Tiamat bestows a blessing: an aura of vigilance. For one minute, you can call upon Tiamat to engulf yourself in an aura matching the color of your dragon as a bonus action. When a creature, other than your dragon, comes within 5 feet of you or you activate while they are in range, they take 1d8 damage that matches the type of your dragon.

Draconic Fury
At 7th level, if you are within 30ft of your dragon and either you or your dragon gets hit with a melee attack, ranged attack, or with a spell, you or your dragon goes into a rage. If the target is within walking distance, you or your dragon get a reaction action against the attacker.

Expert Rider
At 12th level, while you are riding your dragon and your dragon is flying, you can move your dragon. While mounted, you and your dragon gain the ability to make a bonus action on their turn. While it is your turn and your mounted, you can have your dragon make a single attack action. When it is your dragon’s turn, you can take an attack action if you are near any enemies.

Wrath of Tiamat
At 17th level, when both you and your dragon are at 0 HP but are stabilized, roll a percentile at the start of your turn. If you roll under your level, you and your dragon regain consciousness, and enter a rage. In addition to your normal attack, you and your dragon can take a bonus attack action. After both you and your dragon have completed your turn, both you and your dragon fall unconscious. You and your dragon gain two levels of exhaustion. This can only be done once until you’ve had a long rest.
Back to top Go down
Alibaba
Red-Eyed Warrior
Red-Eyed Warrior
Alibaba

Achievement Points : 47
Waifu : kys

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Rider Version 3.0   Dragon Rider Version 3.0 EmptyTue Aug 15, 2017 8:41 pm

Ok to start, no class aside from barbarian should really have 1d12 for their health, an exception in homebrew would be similar tank classes with probably similar armor restrictions. Your class is clearly a more damage heavy class with a whole lot of armor and so 1d10 is more than enough.

Your level 3 abilities are a bit silly, also I think you meant 'gain a point of exhaustion' instead of lose?

First of all, last stand, this instantly tries to make the 'penalty' from being a dragon rider less likely to take effect which I think should wait, the class having some penalty or scare to accompany its benefits is good, getting rid of that at level 3 is a bit premature.

However, even without considering that aspect it's way too soon for a death avoidance ability. Auto success is also a bit much, you'll rarely have your dragon more than 120ft away.

Now for the other level 3 ability, oh dear god no. This is 3 ridiculous abilities rolled into 1.
First of all, if you've noticed in 5e, all 'extra attack' abilities are at level 5 and also they're considered so good that they always take the slot of an entire ability. The only way to make 2 attacks before level 5 in 5e is to spend your fighting style on it, again an entire ability on it, and even then it's ONLY light weapons, so the most you would do is 1d6+mod twice, which isn't much higher than 1 attack with a greatsword.

So not only did you put extra attack, an extremely valuable ability, 2 levels before ANY other class, you also included the 'two-weapon fighting' ability AND more or less the 'dual weidler' feat. ALL INTO ONE ABILITY. You're giving this class the chance to make 3 full attacks with with a longsword at a point where everyone else can only make 1. That's just ridiculous.

At level 3 you've made yourself the most impressive fighter by miles while still having a fucking dragon by your side who also has a turn to take.
Also I honestly don't see the correlation between riding a dragon and dual wielding, if anything wouldn't a dragon RIDER want a single weapon so they can hold onto the dragon? Though I guess your rider doesn't really ride that much... whatever that's not the point. This ability gives waaaay too much.

And still going about this ability because there's more apparently, you added on top of all of that yet another full ability into this 1 single ability, you've added a defensive duelist based ability which is on its own pretty damn solid and probably something for a later level, having it with any of these is just crazy.

Finally to move on from that ability to unexpectedly ASI, First of all there's a certain order and distance between ASI that you should generally respect but that's not the main issue. The issue here is that you've decided you should get as much ASI as the damn fighter.

Ok look the reason a fighter gets so much ASI compared to any other class is very simple, they very intentionally lack features. Their features don't even fill a single fucking page, they get a few simple abilities and that's it. Your class is filled with features and abilities, you can't have all those and all this ASI on top of it.

For the Wyrmling rider, I personally still have an issue with the dragon progression you want to use, but other than that it's fine i guess? It's not obviously ridiculous at least, though tbh it should probably be a different 'riding aid' ability than mounted combat but mounted combat works.
Also the dragon progression is probably enough of an ability on its own.

Elemental Blade Is fine but maybe delay it a few levels.

the level 8 and 14 abilities i can tell are the champion abilities, which is kinda ehh to begin with, but also why have them at earlier levels? if you want them have them at their current level.

the 3 dragon progression abilities are whatever i guess, i'm still against the whole idea you're following because it's rather well... unbalanced and illogical lore wise. Also there's no reason to have AC increase with it.

And the level 18 ability... NO, you can't have the barbarian's unique level 20 ability AT AN EARLIER LEVEL.

Before even going into archetypes, you have issues with balance and theme overall. You clearly are making your character intentionally stronger than other martial fighters on his own while also having a dragon, you shouldn't do that, it's nice to be strong but there has to be some balance and logic to what you're doing.

This also hurts the theme of the class as you're building this character as a MegaFighter who happens to have a dragon rather than a 'dragon rider'. The abilities barely have anything to do with the dragon so far because you're so focused on making your guy the strongest shit ever.

For the paths...
Bahamut:
2nd: Stop it with your AC obsession, characters aren't meant to have bloated AC.
7th: Disadvantage on attacks almost always is way too much, maybe if you use your reaction for it it could be fine.
12th: This is badly worded, but if the intention that each of them get 1 extra attack on the other's turn then NO. You 2 having multiple attacks each on their own turn is already a lot, neither need any more attacks, if anything they need less attacks. This isn't even a 'reaction' this is silly.
17th: It's unlikely to happen, but i'm not a fan tbh.

Tiamat:
2nd: it's fine but needs some kind of limit on it, as it's worded it's just always active after the first time?
7th: This is fine but should probably be 'once per round' so you and your dragon don't both get one each. Also it's not an actual 'rage' right? just flavor rage?
17th: same opinion as the bahamut one.

TBH the paths aren't varied enough, there isn't much of a difference between these 2

I doubt you'll listen to me but i'm not a fan overall. I think the class lacks focus and is just a cluster of martial abilities with a dragon shoved in. I'd rather see the RIDER part of the class have more of an emphasis and an impact.

Also remember it's not about being the best ever at everything to make the class 'strong'.
Back to top Go down
danna45
WDA Member
WDA Member
danna45

Achievement Points : 14
Waifu : arcade bumstead

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Rider Version 3.0   Dragon Rider Version 3.0 EmptyWed Aug 16, 2017 12:09 am

I like to think of classes as being defined by their weaknesses rather than their strengths, if that helps.
Back to top Go down
J.J. Knight
Envoy Soldier
Envoy Soldier
J.J. Knight

Achievement Points : 32
Waifu : no laifu

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Rider Version 3.0   Dragon Rider Version 3.0 EmptyWed Aug 16, 2017 4:59 am

I love your reply on this Ali. I will address it when I am less of a bad mood, but do note that I already began tweaked it a bit after I posted this as a result of a conversation with Nour (such as reducing the number of ASI for example and moving around/eliminating some of these features) and haven't gotten around to posting it yet. I'll go more depth into it when I can concentrate more on it.

Edit: Thought I'd mention this after I posted the reply, the Dual Wielding for Vanir is a character thing. My first ever D&D character was a dual wielding Ranger, and wanted to share that correlation. Any other Dragon Riders that appear won't be dual wielding; they'll either have Greatswords or Longsword + Shield. Just thought I'd add that for explanation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Rider Version 3.0   Dragon Rider Version 3.0 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dragon Rider Version 3.0
Page 1 of 1