World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well.

Go down 
+7
Kimo Force
Kitouski
AsianGuy1137
D JR
AsianShadow
Dragonclaw
DigiDigi
11 posters
AuthorMessage
DigiDigi
WDA Staff
WDA  Staff
DigiDigi

Achievement Points : 60
Waifu : DigiDigi, Digi(^w^)

Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well. Empty
PostSubject: Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well.   Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well. EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 10:55 am

With the TCG release of Lost Sanctuary in June 14, 2011, players from all around have rushed in to purchase or proxy this amazing new addition to the Agent archetype. As little as $10-$12 USD per box, you can purchase an extraordinary, $30 top-tier deck and have little worry for perfection. No matter what you do, you will be (or already have) purchasing one of the most dangerous monsters to be released: Master Hyperion. These fairies aren't to be underestimated at all.

The things that make this deck type so amazing is the fact that the deck can start off strong and stay strong through the duel through the means of both control and overwhelming forces of Master Hyperion alone. The draw power that Tethys has to offer has always been the root of domination that allows Faries to be consistent. The new addition of Divine Punishment allows for superior control, with no cost whatsoever! The Agent of Mystery- Earth (a great consistency that searches any agent or Hyperion) with Jupiter and Venus allows for quick Synchro summoning. Archlord Kristya (for further editing) and Herald of Orange Light allow for absolute lockdown. These are all given strategies that most of us experienced duelists should already be aware of.

As we see the benefits and pros of the deck, we must introduce the cons of the deck. It is a given that if an Agent deck were to run into Anti-Meta themes or just plainly any strategy that would hinder the graveyard or summoning, then the deck is doomed to break down and crumble before you. There are easy solutions for this that Agent players fail to realize when playing competitive. You may side in Heralds, Royal Decree, or even Forbidden Lance. But what all you Agent players need to side in is cards that you can benefit from such as Trap Stun, Chaos Hunter, or even a simple Return from the Different Dimension or even Burial from the Different Dimension (if you do not already main deck it.) These simple solutions can give you easy wins in matches.

Another failure that I must introduce is simply deck structure altogether. Agent decks do not need extra draw power when it already has enough as it is. For example: Cards From the Sky, Pot of Avarice, Pot of Duality, Card Destruction and/or Hand Destruction. Firstly, Cards From the Sky is a terrible, god awful card in the first place. The conditions to activate and follow through with are too much of a draw back for efficiency. Why do I say this? I say this because say for example you remove a useless Mystical Shine Ball in hand and happen to draw in perfectly timed Hyperions while your opponent has low life. What can you do with that!? In my opinion even sticking with one is iffy. Pot of Duality is same in this example, just without the battle condition. Pot of Avarice...just complete retardation right there. Listen, the draw engine is better off with just a simple Tethys and Gift From the White Elephant, maybe 1 or 2 Dualities would slide for considerable efficiency, but think on the bigger picture here! Hyperion decks are made for both overwhelming swarming and overwhelming control. Pot of Avarice will hinder your Hyperion gauntlet, and Cards From the Sky will surely, and usually hinders your OTK opportunities. In simple terms, DONT RUN CFTS OR POA!

Over all, Hyperion Agents pose great threats to all the current top-tier decks running around in the meta. The only thing that is debatable for considering Hyperion Agents as top-tier is the player's decision on the deck structure itself and the goals of the deck. Just focus on allowing for field control first, then worry about swarming afterwards. Don't over complicate things and all of you Hyperion fans will be A-OK. Thanks for reading <3

Last edited by DigiDigi on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : *grammar police edit)
Back to top Go down
Dragonclaw
WDA Member
WDA Member
Dragonclaw

Achievement Points : 0
Waifu : Dragonpuff

PostSubject: Re: Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well.   Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well. EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 11:04 am

Nice articles. I agree with you, the Lost Sanctuary is a good deck, but seriously bad deck construction. Man, I bet the guy who makes these decks, is drunk.
Back to top Go down
AsianShadow
WDA Member
WDA Member
AsianShadow

Achievement Points : 13
Waifu : ProdigyShadow

PostSubject: Re: Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well.   Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well. EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 11:14 am

To me it was a good deck build and Dragon,I think you went a little to far there blink
I know I had to take out some cards like Mausoleum but in the end I made it all work out by adding some Kristyas and other Agents.
Anways,on topic good review DigiDigi.
Back to top Go down
D JR
Key Mace
 Key Mace
D JR

Achievement Points : 22
Waifu : D-JR

PostSubject: Re: Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well.   Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well. EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 11:50 am

Cards from the Sky is good in my type of Agent build though...
Good points and good article. smile
In america..
Back to top Go down
AsianGuy1137
WDA Member
WDA Member
AsianGuy1137

Waifu : AsianGuy1137

PostSubject: Re: Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well.   Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well. EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 12:01 pm

I second the above comment. Cards from the Sky's removal is what leads to consistent Mars looping.
Back to top Go down
Kitouski
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kitouski

Achievement Points : 2
Waifu : Chino

PostSubject: Re: Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well.   Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well. EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 7:04 am

AsianGuy1137 wrote:
I second the above comment. Cards from the Sky's removal is what leads to consistent Mars looping.
Also good with Miraculous Descent and if you're getting really weird, Layard and Dimensional Alchemist in some builds of Fairies.

That and Pot of Duality can be in every deck, ever, almost no exceptions. I wouldn't consider this deck an exception. Actually, too much draw power in a deck is also impossible. Though you're right that Pot of Avarice in this deck would be absolute silliness here.

But alas, all and all nice article.
Back to top Go down
Kimo Force
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kimo Force

Achievement Points : 9
Waifu : Galko-chan

PostSubject: Re: Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well.   Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well. EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 7:18 am

Actually, Cards from the Sky doesn't seem that bad at all, but I wouldn't run too many. It's this one card you want in your hand at the start of the duel. Overall, great article.
Back to top Go down
Legendaryfrost
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Legendaryfrost

Waifu : LegendaryFrost

PostSubject: Re: Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well.   Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well. EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 7:23 am

I've been testing with these and been talking to a friend of mine who is really good with Agents. After some trials I figured that one way to make it is to allow it to run using the RFG. CFTS can be used more than once a turn, and though u can't attack agents use massive trap protection, which can let u set-up and then pull off combos in the next turn using miracle descent or Return From The D.D. But then again that's only one way to make the deck. Great work Digi :D
Back to top Go down
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Re: Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well.   Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well. EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 7:29 am

I remember back when I'd use them when the WC2011 first came out and I'd keep doing this:
Use duality/cards from the sky, both or more than one cards from the sky if I had it, summon earth, get venus, set protection. Next turn summon venus, get 3 balls, white elephant's gift on 1 ball, trishula with the other monsters, summon hyperion by removing venus (one of the 5 fairies), summon kristya, otk. good times.

oh, btw, didnt go through the article now since my head hurts but since the others posted...
Back to top Go down
raye
WDA Member
WDA Member
raye

Achievement Points : 4

PostSubject: Re: Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well.   Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well. EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 8:26 am

Great Article and im loving the hyperion agents. Pot of Duality i could use but never thought of white elephant gift. CFTS is not overall a bad card i have gotten what i wanted with it several times. I usually activate CFTS before i summon anything so if i summon earth firt then jupiter to my hand then i would activate CFTS and get jupiter. As som of u know i run agents alot i have 3 decks of em
Back to top Go down
Al-Bhed
Machina Mechanic
Machina Mechanic
Al-Bhed

Achievement Points : 50
Waifu : fem-Al-Bhed

PostSubject: Re: Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well.   Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well. EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 5:38 pm

As I said above I did use to use cards from the sky, now whether it works or not completely depends on your build. If you plan to do things like valhalla, tethys, jupiter, sanctuary in the sky then you may or may not want it, but back when it was ocg only and before the banlist there was this certain ocg deck dominating, Hyperion Turbo, the real one. It included duality, cards from the sky and white elephant gift at this order of importance, both duality and cfts at 2 or 3 as far as I remember with white elephant's is optional. The purpose of the deck was (remember, the time of 2 honest and 3 kristya although it would work without a bit) select/draw cards first turn with cfts and pod to set up and draw into earth, summon earth, search venus, protect earth with either your heavy s/t lineup (no sanctuary or valhalla, regular heavy control) or with honest and whether it is there next turn or not do precise graveyard filling with venus for kristya one way or another or prepare your grave for hyperion while backed up by your heavy s/t lineup, because draw power isnt there only to draw your hyperion, it is there to draw into your solemn warnings etc. as well (remember that it was the time of 3 solemn warning as well). Ofc if you keep earth you use your draw power cards and try for the otk but other than that the deck was mainly a violent control deck like most in the samurai format were, with a monster lineup of balls, venus, earth, hyperion, kristya, honest, orange herald.

You may say that this format of a deck is bad now after the banlist, I can't exactly answer that, what I can say though is that in the japanese nationals 2011 a few days ago (very interesting decklists all over imo) the 5th place and highest placing angel deck was built like that with the addition of a sangan. That being said the boost of daigusta phoenix and xyz helps venus in that so despite being hit by the banlist there was something they gained.

There are extremely few draw cards I don't like, I do value drawing above all to be honest and drawing is not only to draw 2-3 of your key cards, if your deck consists of great and strong cards like the solemns or good standalone spells drawing allows you to have a perfect set up to win the game, even if you cant summon/attack/breathe or whatever other restriction they decide to put on draw cards.
Back to top Go down
3E-hero neos
WDA Member
WDA Member
3E-hero neos

Waifu : 3E-hero neos

PostSubject: Re: Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well.   Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well. EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 7:21 pm

Really nice review, I really have to make a Agent deck one xP.
However, I do not agree on you saying Cards From the Sky is bad, it's great draw power like Al-Bhed explained, it gives you cards you need next turn. All you base it on is that you might draw into those Hyperion's to win you the game but you can't attack, how big is the chance to draw into 2 while you search them as well??
The chance is relatively small, I'd totally run 2 Cards From the Sky.
I do agree on Avarice though, pure suicide in this deck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well.   Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well. Empty

Back to top Go down

Hyperion Agents: Why most players can't really play them too well.
Page 1 of 1