World Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hang-OutHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How do I make a D&D 5th Edition Character?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
J.J. Knight
Envoy Soldier
Envoy Soldier
J.J. Knight

Achievement Points : 32
Waifu : no laifu

How do I make a D&D 5th Edition Character? Empty
PostSubject: How do I make a D&D 5th Edition Character?   How do I make a D&D 5th Edition Character? EmptySat May 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Al asked me earlier how to make a character for the upcoming session. Some people have already made their characters, or know at least what they want to make. While Poofy and I know how to make our own characters, many of you have no idea wtf you're doing. So, here's a few videos that'll help you at least get a sense of what to do.

Before we get into that, I'll need you all to either buy the Player Handbook, or check out the link here:

Player Handbook:

Before I add the playlist that I want you to watch, I want to make a point for how we determine stats. You can go with the predone rolls, or you can roll for yourself. How we do that is rolling four 1d6 dice (a six sided dice). Once you roll those four dice, for example, let's say you rolled a 6, 4, 3, and 1, you will drop your lowest dice.

In this case, the 1. You will then add the three remainder for the total. In this case, 13. You will do this process a total of seven times. Once you've rolled your dice, you will then drop the lowest score. So, let's say your rolls were 17, 14, 13, 12, 12, 11, and 9. You will drop the 9 score from the total.

These are now your scores for your Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma, to be put in any order you please (Best to put your highest scores into the ability scores best fitted for your class.)

This link should take you to a playlist on just about everything you'll need to know, starting with how to make a character. If you scroll down the playlist, you'll find other videos like how to build a Ranger, spells, and etc. As for background, this is apart of the roleplaying aspect and basic 101 character creation. I do want a backstory about your character. It doesn't have to be long, just enough for you, myself, and others to know a bit about the character you will be playing. Is he a soldier in a time of peace? A farmer defending his homeland? A fool seeking adventure and escape from his boring ass life? Get creative.

If there's anything else you need help with, ask me and Poofy.
Back to top Go down
Kitouski
WDA Staff
WDA Staff
Kitouski

Achievement Points : 2
Waifu : Chino

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a D&D 5th Edition Character?   How do I make a D&D 5th Edition Character? EmptySat May 13, 2017 6:16 pm

I'd imagine what you need to get to JJ within the standard character sheet is a name, stats, class, race, alignment, chosen skill proficiencies, other proficiencies and languages, personality traits, ideals, bonds, flaws, features and traits... and probably chosen spells as well if your class casts spells.

I'm not sure if it'd be necessary to hand this to him as well but it IS necessary to be aware of all your skill totals, saving throws, armor class, initiative, speed, hit points, starting equipment and how to calculate the damage from your moves as well as what moves you know. Sure it wouldn't hurt to huck them his way but unless you edit into a charactersheet page sounds like a pain...

I get the impression that extended bio information like character appearance, allies and organizations, character backstory, etc don't need to be hard fleshed out and so long as those are strongly captured in your "personality traits, ideals, bonds and flaws", but if you have something very fleshed out in mind it wouldn't hurt to give that too.

Really I'm just making an assumption though here on what is typically expected. Without being able to take a literal character sheet from you to check things it gets odd. If you have read the handbook and don't want to watch the video (which seems to do a good job of talking about what's needed if you have the time) this is basically what you'll all need to be able to fill out;

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-SIz9DByDeZw/U6M51aKP-OI/AAAAAAAAAzM/OZ72wWzJMTA/s1600/sheet1.jpg

If you couldn't hypothetically make this with what you've learned in the handbook then you have everything both JJ and yourself need to know for day 1. Spells are the only thing that you could get a lot more figures down on and you'd need to know, like being aware of your spell slots and what not but honestly so long as you know how to work your chosen class somewhat enough and JJ knows what spells you are starting with that alone is probably enough information to get to him. If it's specific fields that are confusing rather than what is needed for a character sheet on the whole I could ramble about that too.

...correct me if I'm wrong on any additional information you're wanting from people too JJ. I'm just kind of summarizing what to toss your way if it's how it needs to be organized and brought together that's confusing rather than it's individual parts.
Back to top Go down
Nour Force
Magical Girl
Magical Girl
Nour Force

Achievement Points : 114
Waifu : 02

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a D&D 5th Edition Character?   How do I make a D&D 5th Edition Character? EmptyMon May 15, 2017 5:00 am

http://media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/CHARACTERSHEETS.ZIP

Here are the character sheets. Have fun~
Back to top Go down
https://worldduelingacademy.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I make a D&D 5th Edition Character?   How do I make a D&D 5th Edition Character? Empty

Back to top Go down

How do I make a D&D 5th Edition Character?
Page 1 of 1